VW Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its definitely smoke, very white and it only seems to happen when its very cold. Throughout the day it starts fine. Anything to be concerned about?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
lately with the cold weather, during a cold start, my jetta III turns over fine but for the first minute or two has a bouncy idle and blows smoke out the exhaust. ideas on what this might be/what to look for? its not any louder than normal so i dont think theres a leak around the cat..and once the engine warms it stops happening. i'm wondering how oil could be seeping into my exhaust and getting burned up, but i cant think of how. could it just be that my cat needs to get replaced?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Same 'Smoke' that comes out of your mouth on those cold days?
Should be nothing to worry about, alot of cars idol like crap when they are cold, Maby get some winter oil put in that should help

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i'm not an idiot, i know its not the hot air, because it's a suffocating thick oily smoke. Similar to the smoke produced during a burnout.

·
Registered
75 Posts
check your oil, see if theres antifreeze/water in it...sounds like you have a head gasket problem, especially if the smoke is white and smells bad...

if its black you have an oil problem, white usually means a water problem...

as your car warms up and thermal expansion occurs it may seal the leak in your head gasket and prevent the white smoke but when it cools down its there again...

check your oil and see if it is milky in color..that def means water....if it looks like regular old oil...then take a little dab of it and rub it on your tongue (seriously) if it tastes sweet it has antifreeze in it, (thats why pets drink antifreeze, its realllllly goood!!)

DONT SWALLOW IT just spit it out or wipe your mouth out with a paper towel...im sure i dont have to tell you

just a little diclaimer. although anti freeze IS poisonous you would actually have to SWALLOW a tablespoon or more before the glycol will adversly affect your system...even more than a tablespoon before motor oil will affect your system...putting it on your tongue and wiping it out WILL NOT affect you at all...but it might tell you whats happening

for those of you that are now curious, YES i taste the fluids that come out of my car/s and yes you can taste the difference between tranny fluid, brake fluid and motor oil, and whether they have certain contaminants and that knowledge can tell you what that stain in the driveway is really from...when you dont have access to expensive test equipment you gotta do what you gotta do...lol...anyway hope that helps

·
Registered
75 Posts
...and the bottom line: DONT DRINK ANY AMOUNT OF ANTI_FREEZE!!!!.....just in case some of you whackos out there might think you could take just alittle...i dont know WHY though...i just dont want to sound like im endorsing anything dangerous ya know..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bought a bottle of fuel treatment/injecor cleaner to eliminate all those nasty carbon deposits, but alas no help.

I'm thinking gasket issues may be a bullseye here. I waited until 1 to start my car today to see if it was the cold that was screwing with my engine but it was near 65 degrees and it still had trouble. Sputtering, and smoke still pouring out. Initially, under WOT it feels like your going 20 mph in 5th gear, sputtering...until the engine warms up. I'm thinking perhaps its an oil problem, but this would not necessarily account for the smoke. It seems that cold starts aren't an issue, but more after the car has been sitting for a long time, (8-12 or so hours).

Since i've only been the owner of the car for about a month, is it reasonable to conclude that perhaps the previous owner used the wrong weight oil? If the oil was too thick cold, and it took a warm engine to lean it out a little, would this cause these symptoms?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ZuMmKIII:
[QB]i'm not an idiot...QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nobody said that, we love you baby

Exhuasted fuel is always being burned If not by the engine by the cat. White smoke is almost always moisture, black fuel and blueish is oil. If It only happens on start up it's only moisture in the exaust.Coolant leaks caused by a blown head gasket cause white smoke more when the engine gets warmer because of the higher engine temps making the water pressure rise and leak worse. That said, I might still have the headgasket checked.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
75 Posts
well....seems like a head gasket problem still, Josh has a good point, that the preasure inside the coolant system should force water into the engine once its warmed up, then again maybe my theory on thermal expansion IS sealing the leak ...reguardless...i would still bet its the head gasket, that would also explain your sputtering...when water gets into your cumbustion chamber it quenches the spark and prevents the propper explosion of the fuel....but like Josh said you would expect it to get worse at operating temp.

using my previous advice you could get closer to an answer with a simple free test...but like i said i dont endorse that anyone do anything that i would do...im kinda crazy..

(how come we dont have the "crazy" smily?)

unfortunatly having a head gasket changed can be expensive if you take it someplace...that sad part about that is a head gasket is pretty in-expensive and if you have the time and equipment you can change it in your driveway in a few hours, maybe you know someone who can do it?

well...good luck

·
Registered
148 Posts
it could be an o2 sensor
check that out
or the oil could be burning

check that
every says oil my friends has an exhastut that smokes it is because of his o2 sensor
thanks
adam

·
Registered
22 Posts
man this forum has alot strange advice. it sounds like to me that your honeycomb is probably shat it self in your cat. you need to have someone goose your trottle and hold you hands by the tail pipe and see if any clay comes out. im willing to bet it will. that means its time to replace it. youve given all the classic symptoms of a bad cat, it just happened that it start doing it when it got cold out. you probably lose some power too i bet when you first take off. hmmm

1 - 16 of 16 Posts