VW Forum banner

Smokin' and Revin'

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Straz85 
#1 ·
Just a couple of quick questions:

#1- I've got a 93 Golf 1.8l with the 5 speed and it seems to really turn some RPM's, like 5000+ @ 120 kph. Normal?

#2- I get a little stinky cloud of smoke when I first start it. (Smells like rotten eggs) Normal?

Only had the car for less than a month and LUV it but need to work out all the little things that take away from me being to LUV it more. (Still working on that ticking noise from my first post!) Thanks everyone and I'll try to get some pics posted asap. It's a trick little 4 door! Ja

#2 ·
About the rev's, I have no idea.

Anytime you smell "rotten eggs", its your Catalytic converter. It could be bad, or just be worn out if you have a lot of miles on the car. I think several of the guys on here have hi-flow cats, and thats a good idea, if you don't mind the occasional backfire. Otherwise, you can just get a stock cat from somewhere like motorworks.com or parts4vws.com. good luck!

#3 ·
What he said about the catalytic converyter. If you mean when cruising on th ehighway your rpms are up high. The that's just the way it is geared. Not really geared for high speed. You can change to a taller 5th gear and it'll lower the rpm's some. Other than that you can't really do anything about it. Good luck and let us know if you have any other questions.

#6 ·
My problems ran a little deeper than the cat. I found out that the small tick I had turned into a big tick and one my way home from work last Thursday it completely melted down(Spun a bearing). But on the brighter side new engine went in today so I'll be able to tell you exactly, if it still smells it has to be the cat, if not it was just my engine on the way out. I'll let you know tomorrow! Ja

#7 ·
woa, sorry to hear that... well atleast you got a new engine!
keep us informed!!

#8 ·
Not the cat, was the engine. New engine runs perfect and no smell, smoke or noises (yet!). Only problem is it's still a 1.8l, the swap will have to wait until another day as I have to have my ride on the road and not in the shop. Thanks for your help guys, maybe my seized engine will help someone else some day! Ja

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.