VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The season will be coming up soon and I wanted to be ready.. I was just wondering what people have done for snow tires and rims for their VW's??

I have a GTI with the factory 17's, which I don't want to use for the winter. Also could I go down to a 16. I know it will throw my Speedo off a little but I don't care, it's winter.

Was thinking about ordering 4 steel 16inch wheels and snow tires from TireRack. But I do have access to a tire machine and balancer. So do I buy everything and do it myself?

I had Toyo Observe snow tires on my Jetta and I thought they sucked. Any suggestions on snow tires???

Any feedback would be great.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3 Posts
The winter in Moscow to last five months in a year.

I have VW Golf 4 GTi (1.8T), in the winter I prefer to use 15 inch (instead 17 inch in summer) wheels wiht Nokian Hakkapelitta (its a rubber tire), but we have deep snow and iced road, I think that you don't have such problem, try Nokian Hakkapelitta Q (it's not rubber), it is one of the best winter tire.

P.S. Sorry my mistakes.

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: Desperado ]

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: Desperado ]

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AlwaysVeeDubbin:
The season will be coming up soon and I wanted to be ready.. I was just wondering what people have done for snow tires and rims for their VW's??

I have a GTI with the factory 17's, which I don't want to use for the winter. Also could I go down to a 16. I know it will throw my Speedo off a little but I don't care, it's winter.

Was thinking about ordering 4 steel 16inch wheels and snow tires from TireRack. But I do have access to a tire machine and balancer. So do I buy everything and do it myself?

I had Toyo Observe snow tires on my Jetta and I thought they sucked. Any suggestions on snow tires???

Any feedback would be great.
Thanks in advance
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have 15" Avus wheels that I use for winter time and will also use for drag radials when I finally get around to buying some. They will not throw your speedo off if you get the appropriate sized tire. I currently have Michelin XGTH4's on the wheels for winter use and I like them a lot.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Throw something up on the Trading post and ask if anyone has extra wheels they are selling. I know Brian used to, not sure if he ever sold them.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
i use 16 inch steelies for winter. there great and it drives pretty good! i think i have the same tires as big dong, i'm not too sure. i know they are michelin's.

i suggest getting snow tires for winter b/c it is soo much better and you also get better traction, when there is snow on the ground. i see people around my area driving around with 17's. last winter some people with 337's were driving around on there 18's!!they were all over the place when they were driving!

[ September 03, 2003: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
I'm going to be picking up a pair of steelies for winter as well...dunno which meat to get yet though. I'll probably get them next month. Damn I can't believe summer is gone all ready I can feel the snow coming all ready!

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
yeah I didnt get rid of them yet. i want to trade someone (+$$$) my 16 stock motreal wheels for their 15" avus. for winter of course.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts