VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I chopped it off.

Welded up some 3in. pipe to make dual 3in. outlets.

Just going to paint them black.

The outlet on the right is welded to the original pipe. Doesn't really sound any different.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Do you mig or tig weld?

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
Do it. That's the 2.5 right? Those motors sound fantastic when a little exhaust work.

I need to pick me up a mig welder with argon hook up. That's probably the first big buy after I get working again. I want to start making my own exhaust for the bike and customizing frames.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep 2.5. Wife actually likes how it sounds. Look at Hobart mig welders. Affordable and very good. My brothers is 220/110 gas or flux. His was around $800 minus the tank.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
I was looking at Hobart or Lincoln. I'm probably going to get a 110/115v one though. I don't have 220v at my house, and I really don't feel like upgrading it.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only thing good about 220 is the consistency. 110 can be kinda jumpy. Atleast with this welder. My brother was choosing between the Hobart and Miller. His Hobart is cheaper and cheaper to set up to weld aluminum. My first welder was a Lincoln. Lincoln weldpak from home depot. Flux core only. 110. Did plenty of exhausts and lots of body panels, and one Eton 150 swingarm. They are around $300 new. The gas one is close to $400. Check craigslist. Lots of them on there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts