VW Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Jetta GLS 1.8T Sedan 4D Manual
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Had the CEL on for a while on my 2002 Jetta 1.8T, it was due to engine misfire. Finally, last summer fixed it by replacing all ignition coils, spark plugs and cables. CEL never came back on nor never had more errors afterward.

However, in Dec 2019 it failed smog check in California with an "OBDII Monitors Not Ready: Catalyst". It had been 3-4 months after fixing all issues.

I was told to drive it for a long-distance, which I have multiple times since the summer and since it failed smog. I have also clear all the error codes even when there is none, unplugged battery, driven it for 1+ hrs non-stop etc. Just about done everything possible. The AC Compressor is broken and was thinking of replacing it after new registration. Could that affect it?

Car is a 2002 Volkswagen Jetta GLS Turbo Sedan 4D Manual, 5-Spd with 225k miles.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!

Shabuboy

===============UPDATE 03/13/2020=============================

Well, what do you know! Today took it for the last smog check attempt before temporary tags expired and whala! Catalyst Monitor was ready, and it passed smog.

The only thing I did differently this week was to drive it to work, around 1800-2200 RMP and ~55 MPH two days in a row. Which is about 22 miles away each way.

Got the idea from reading this post at vwvortex.com

Got a VW Jetta for at least two more years!!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts