VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the 89 golf GL I was asking for some help with running right finally but it isn’t quite up to passing state inspection yet. I was all ready to order the parts I need when I found a beat up and ripped apart 91 8v GTI on eBay for $300. The car is said to have a fair bit of aftermarket parts on it along with a lot of extra parts. I had hoped to get all the parts I need for inspection off of it though it appears none of the interment panels I got with the car will work in my Gulf. Anyway that is another story.

What I would like to know is if any of the stock GTI parts would be a performance upgrade for my golf. Maybe the head, intake, throttle body, or would they be the exactly like the ones on the Golf? I am also wondering if the 5speed in the GTI is the same as the one in my Golf? The one in my Golf is making all kinds of nasty noise.

Thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
gti has shorter gears i would leave the stock tranny but it up to you

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Most everything from one car to the other is the same. The tranny should be close ratio, and will bolt right into your car.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
yours might not hav the dual outlet manifold. The gti will. that might be somthing to think about.what'sw rong with yuor car that it doesn't pass inspection?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information. If my stock gearbox didn’t sound like it was going to fly apart some day on the way to or from work I wouldn’t even be thinking about replacing it. See I work at a performance shop in north Philly witch is about an hour away from where I live. Unfortunately we specialize in 3S cars and DSM’s so when it comes to VW we are all rather clueless. Maybe I will get lucky and it will be just the differential or something because it makes noise no matter what gear or speed. Originally I thought it was just the speedo cable making noise but after putting it up on stands so I could be out side the car I realized it was far more then a speedo cable.

Any more advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks again.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Should be a 4-1 manifold, and no, it wont have rear discs.

In '91 the 8v GTI was really just a regular Golf with nicer interior and some emblems.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys I really appreciate all the help and thanks for being so nice even though I work on Jap cars for a living.

Anyway I already got the car I picked it up on Tuesday. The car came with the stock dual exhaust manifold but it also has a header and full exhaust with no cat. It’s an 8v so it has rear drums but they are larger then mine and mine were shot so I swapped them out. I am going to upgrade to rear disks when I get the time and money but for now I just need an inspection. In fact the car came with the rear out of a 16v but it is missing one caliper and rotor. But at least I go both rear stub axles. Probably just going to buy 2 new rear rotors when I get chance but still need to find another caliper. I am also planning to put the front rotors on my car and get rid of the silly solid fronts that the golf came with.

I have also swapped out the front and rear seats since they are a bit sportier then mine were. Though my old ones were a lot cleaner with no burn marks unlike the GTI seats I now have. But since the car is to be my daily driver and I am a mechanic I don’t really care. I am sure I would have managed to get them messed up at some point. I still need to swap out the rear side panels and door panels to match but I am keeping my stock dash.

I was sort of hoping the 8v in the GTI was an engine that performed better then the 8v in my Golf but I guess I am sol in that area. I did however get some aftermarket performance parts with it. On top of the exhaust system witch isn’t really all that nice BTW. I got a Crane cam but haven’t a clue what the grind is and a lightened flywheel. As well as aftermarket shocks and lowering springs. I have also picked up a urethane bushings kit. Hmm while I am on the topic of performance parts I was wondering where I might find some nice strut bars and better sway bars for a fair price. I don’t really have a need for speed with this car but I would really love to be able to hit corners without the car feeling like it wants to roll over. Heck even my 94 Saab witch is not known for it’s handling takes corners better then this gulf does.

Now on to why it won’t pass inspection the main problem I had was the rear breaks but I took care of that tonight. The only inspection issue I got now is that when I turn on the high beams the indicator light on the dash doesn’t come on and the tach stops working. I guess I need a new gauge cluster? The GTI came with 2 different clusters but neither is like mine go figure. The car still has some idle issues that I can’t seem to figure out but I aint to worried about it.

As for spare parts I have quite a lot now and plan to sell most of them off so if anyone is interested don’t be afraid to ask but do keep in mind that some of the prized stuff has gone to upgrading my golf. Also most of the body panels are banged up and or rusty.

Thanks again guys and sorry for the book.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Everyones favorite Neuspeed actually got thier start making tie bars and sway bars for VWs.. so start there. Companies like Autotech and ABD also make nice stuff.

Look on the end of the cam opposite the gear, there will be some numbers engraved on there. Those are teh Crane grind numbers. You can get the specs from the crane webpage.

If the plug on the back of the gauge cluster matches yours... it will work. If not, it wont (duh). Your car may or may not have made the cutoff for CE2 wiring... so you'll have to look at the plugs.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
If you're looking for handling, check out a coilover suspension. There are a lot of good brands out there for around $400 for the A2s. You'll get a much more responsive feel out of it, with tie bars, and sway bars, it'll blow your mind. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well my cluster has to plugs on the bottom where the one that is in the GTI only has the one on the right. The other cluster I got with the care uses both plugs but it is a 140mph cluster with the MFA. Don’t know If I can use that or not? I also don’t know if it even works since it was laying out side in the snow when I picked it up. If I can’t fix the cluster that’s in my gulf today then I am just going to wire up a blue LED from the other one so that I have an indicator.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
sounds like you got a lot of parts from the other gti. I need a black center console and a black dash insert.(that goes around the gauges cluster and radio) I also need the inner door handle inserts and the window crank inserts. If you have any of these left over form either car, let me knwo. I'm not too far away so maybe after x mas i can come get them off ya. Later

1 - 12 of 12 Posts