VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! I am new to the whole forum/online group thing (this is the first site I've ever done this with). I am teenager getting ready to buy my first car and am very interested in getting an early 2000's Jetta as they are within my price range and I think they look very nice. I was just curious with a couple things. I'll start off with something that has no I guess real answer, but that is what do you recommend, manual or automatic. I am thinking I would like a manual as I have a manual fourwheeler (different obviously, but same concept) and find that it is MUCH more fun to be in full control over it then just mashing the gas and leaving the shifting to the machine. Also, how are repairs with these? My parents are not really willing to help me at all with my first car/repairs so I would like to put it into a reliable car that if I take care of it, it will take care of me. There is many kids at my school that race and beat the crap out of their cars but I am a safe driver. Although going a little fast here and there is fun, I don;t plan on slamming through gears and drifting around corners and jumping my car lol. Are the stock speakers any good and if not which aftermarket speakers do you recommend? Also any side tips/suggestions are greatly appreciated. Looking for more bang for the buck! Thank you so much, have a good day/night!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Definitely get a manual. If you want reliability though and don't have a lot of money for repairs, I'd think about getting a Honda or something. VWs, especially in this generation, don't have the greatest reliability.

If you really want one though, I would get a 2.0 5-speed. Its not fast, but no turbo to worry about, takes regular 87 gas, less picky about oil, etc. I had that combo in a New Beetle for 6 1/2 years. It was a great car for college.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Reliability/good mpg - 2.0
Great mpg/ok reliability - tdi
Ok mpg/ok reliability/performance -1.8t(better HP/$ than the VR6)
Ok mpg/ok reliability/performance - VR6

My 1.8t has been pretty good to me. I've put over 100,000 miles on it. Most of the issues I have had have happened because of something I modified.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reliability/good mpg - 2.0
Great mpg/ok reliability - tdi
Ok mpg/ok reliability/performance -1.8t(better HP/$ than the VR6)
Ok mpg/ok reliability/performance - VR6

My 1.8t has been pretty good to me. I've put over 100,000 miles on it. Most of the issues I have had have happened because of something I modified.
I'm looking at a 2000 5 speed 2.0 Jetta. I've looked at Hondas but would much rather get a vw, plus I'm 6'3" and the Hondas are typically smaller. I know jettas aren't too big, but they feel/look good. I should have hopefully $100+ dollars every few weeks that can all be saved for repairs or anything really. I know it doesn't sound like much but talking to my parents they will help me a bit.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
You might want to sit in a mk4 first being 6'3". I have a friend who is 6'4" and he looks ridiculous in my car. He was thinking about buying one to save gas. He quickly flushed that idea.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
my friend is 6'4" and when he sits in the passenger set, his head basically hits the roof, and has to push the seat all the way back which renders the seat behind him useless.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You could fit nice in a New Beetle. :p Lots of headroom in the front. The back however...I'm 5'6" and would hit the ceiling in the backseat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts