VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For weeks I have heard an object shifting/rolling around in my dash whenever I make turns or when the weight of my car shifts. I believe its a screw of some sort but it can't be located.

I have tried sticking an magnetic finder (long metal coil with a magnet at the end) into the air vents (the middle long one, and the two circular vents on each end of the dash) with no luck. there is a hole from the middle vent that goes downwards, but that is one i didn't want to stick a magnet into.

Anyways, was wondering if any of you have any ideas on how i might try to locate this annoying object and/or where it might be and how I can access it to see if i can find it. Much thanks in advance!!

Ps. I have a 99.5 Jetta VR6

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Oh man, you do not want to open the dash and plenum up to get to it. That is a serious job.

It is likely in the main plenum where the temperature flap is if the sound comes from low in the dash. If so, you can only access the area via the center air vent (the left and right ones won't help) If you move you temp control can you restrict the location of where it rolls around? If so turn right really hard while driving the car with the heat off (temp control set to cold) and it should roll to where a magnet can grab it through the main center dash vent.

If the sound is high in the dash, it is likely in the plenum air vent that runs along the firewall at the top of the dash. If so, you can snake the vent with a toilet snake and a rag and pull it out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is likely in the main plenum where the temperature flap is if the sound comes from low in the dash. If so, you can only access the area via the center air vent (the left and right ones won't help) If you move you temp control can you restrict the location of where it rolls around?
I am not sure what a temperature flap is... I used my magnetic coil down the vent on the dash (one where air would come out to defrost the windows) and nothing there. Moved it to the left circle vent, so I can see the other end of the coil,..nothing. Then same with towards the right, also nothing. there is a hole that goes downwards in this vent which i think its the defrost vent that I didn't try. Do you mean there? or do you mean the center dual vents on the face of the dash (that ones that faces you)?

How would i move my "temperature control"? do you mean turning the knob?

thanks!

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Yep, the 2 central vents.. and yes by turning the knob you should hear the flap open and close.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So finally had time to remove the trim and listen more closely. Think its coming from the lower console as you mentioned in previous post.

"It is likely in the main plenum where the temperature flap is if the sound comes from low in the dash. If so, you can only access the area via the center air vent (the left and right ones won't help) If you move you temp control can you restrict the location of where it rolls around? If so turn right really hard while driving the car with the heat off (temp control set to cold) and it should roll to where a magnet can grab it through the main center dash vent."

I tried the magnet thing but didn't catch anything. What is the process to actually get into the main plenum where the temperature flap is??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts