VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well if you have read any of my post, you should remember me saying i get my jetta IV when i graduated this spring, however my current car is being such a pain and constantly messing up, my parents decided to go ahead and get my new car. so this weekend i test drive some VW's. i cant wait.
any advice from vw veterens? anything i should know? anything is helpful and appreciated!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
The really nice thing is that you have plenty to choose from. I'd suggest dealing with the engine first. To boil it down for you... VR6 nicest straight out of the box, 1.8T most tunability/potential, TDI best fuel economy. Then... test drive, test drive, test drive. Back to back test drives work best. OH, and try not to smile TOO big the first time you slam on the gas
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

From what I've read the 1.8T has more potential for the money but the VR6 has more potential in the end but you have to spend more cash to get there.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
I think I've seen a 270 HP MK4 Jetta VR6 (red one) from New Dimensions in the European Car Magazine.

EDIT: It was supercharged.

[ August 19, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
I think I've seen a 270 HP MK4 Jetta VR6 (red one) from New Dimensions in the European Car Magazine.

EDIT: It was supercharged.

[ August 19, 2003: Message edited by: TF242 ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A guy I know from VT had a type III VR6 with about 350hp (280hp at the wheels). No supercharger. No turbo. But many other modifications.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
WEll what where you looking at? What engine? 1.8t? 2.0 VR6? also what car? This will help a little bit
jon

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
The really nice thing is that you have plenty to choose from. I'd suggest dealing with the engine first. To boil it down for you... VR6 nicest straight out of the box, 1.8T most tunability/potential, TDI best fuel economy. Then... test drive, test drive, test drive. Back to back test drives work best. OH, and try not to smile TOO big the first time you slam on the gas

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
A guy I know from VT had a type III VR6 with about 350hp (280hp at the wheels). No supercharger. No turbo. But many other modifications.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what the heck did he put in it??

anyways you'll love the 1.8t. as soon as that turbo kicks in and you hear that whistle you will buy that car! trust me...i did
!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 1point8T:
what the heck did he put in it??

anyways you'll love the 1.8t. as soon as that turbo kicks in and you hear that whistle you will buy that car! trust me...i did
!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not 100% sure of all the mods he made but I'll give an update when I can contact him or someone who knew - more to come...

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

here are some pics of the jetta I was talking about but I am waiting for the list of mods - yet more to come....

note: I believe these pics are from '97

[ August 20, 2003: Message edited by: Tommunist ]

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well i had planned on getting a 1.8T. but from what i heard the vr6 is sounding pretty good. my plans were to upgrade the turbo on the 1.8T but what do you think? which do you think would be better? and why? THANX!!!!
-EXCITED!

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
well, it depends what you upgrade to. I was talking to matt miller (big dong) a few months ago, and he was telling me all about upgrading turbos. he said that a k04 is not worth the money. go for a turbo with ball bearings. and he is the one to ask about a turbo upgrade. he knows his stuff. congrats on your soon to be new baby. I was looking and sitting in some new dubs earlier this week. you got to love the feel of hard ass seat bolsters. its like the seats are hugging you. so nice. I would recommend leather interior-I love mine. but its up to you. again, congrats!

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
A guy at the gtg tonight had a turbo'd vr6 that was pushing 330whp! NOT a typo thats 3 3 0 ponies. Had the dyno slips to prove it.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
A guy at the gtg tonight had a turbo'd vr6 that was pushing 330whp! NOT a typo thats 3 3 0 ponies. Had the dyno slips to prove it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That would be so fun (but expensive).

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanx for the advice, but im still not sure which engine ill get. but trust me ill try both. and you guys will be the first to know which one i pick. but i do know that i want the color to be silver, and i want black wheels with chrome lip, carbon fiber hood, kit, and engine work, but does anyone have any good wheels that they would recommend? since that will be the first thing i put on there.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Well EVILGTI2000 on here has a Turbo'ed VR6 and i think that's pulling low to mid 400hp. Is this right andy?

jon

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i was talkin to my dad today, and a used car salesman who now is a mechanic and we all decided it would be better to go vr6 and turbo that. so far thats my decision, but i am still goin to test drive a 1.8T. thanx for all the help!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I reckon the best go is the turbo all the best with your decision

·
Registered
735 Posts
Mmmmm... VR6.

Now I'm changin' my mind what I'd like to get next, as an add on to the stable, not to replace my Mkiv.

Although I am loving the R32 idea still too...

Now all I need is my wife to make like 200g this year and I'll plead for my new toy! hehehe (she's got a commish job and can bring in more than my salary. Gotta luv that.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts