VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Girlfriend just bought a 2013 Golf 4-door. LOVE this vehicle, now I understand the VW thing.. Question: When we first start the car, if you're quiet you can hear a mechanical/electrical sound happen within the first 30 seconds. Kinda like something is automatically adjusting. I don't really know where its coming from. Similar sound as the electric seat moving, but its coming from outside of the cab. Is there something that auto-opens or closes or something when you turn the car on?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Does it also happen if you just turn the ignition from 'off' to 'on' without starting the car?

With two people outside the car and both hood and trunk open, does it come from the front or back?

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,444 Posts
Might be the throttle body. I know my mk5 makes a lot of clicking and humming when the ignition gets turned on and even right after it shuts down.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Could be the secondary air injection pump.

It typically runs for up to 1 minute on a cold start up to help reduce emissions.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the replies. I realized that it actually happens before we even start the car, like either when we unlock it walking towards it or sometimes after we open the door. It sounds like it comes from under the car midsection. It sounds like something is automatically adjusting or locking or unlocking or something. Idk what it would possibly be? Its weird it happens often, but I can't notice it happening consistently before or after any particular action.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Sounds like the fuel pump.
VW models have been doing that for years.
When you open the drivers door, the fuel pump runs momentarily to pressurize the fuel system in anticipation of you starting the car.

·
Registered
63 Posts
^ Sounds plausible.

I don't advise mucking with cars that work OK
and I do advise to let sleeping dogs lie
but if you are really curious you can pull out the fuel pump fuse.

In general, you can pull and replace fuses one at a time until the noise goes away but it can be risky.

·
Registered
781 Posts
My 01 VR6 makes the same exact noise when I open my door... it really does sound like the seat is moving or something. But I've had it since 2010 and it's never cause me any problems. (At least that part hasn't haha)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Sounds like the fuel pump.
VW models have been doing that for years.
When you open the drivers door, the fuel pump runs momentarily to pressurize the fuel system in anticipation of you starting the car.
That has to be it, my 08 550i did the same thing. I havent really noticed it on my GLI though

1 - 9 of 9 Posts