VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i finally had gotten my sound system put in i could not figure out how to get it to work so i had it professionly done. Now 3 days later my car only starts certain times
all my electonics go on but sometimes teh car will not start do you think it could be the alternater, or maybe just the cold weather if it is the alternater how much do you think it would be to rebuild and modify so that it can handle the power

Dereck

·
Registered
129 Posts
Actually capcitors don't make a big enough difference as to what they're advertised to. I run 1200 watts peak from my Kicker KX600.1, so i got a 2 farad cap, and my lights still dim a little. First- Test your alternator, see what it's putting out, you may have fried it. If your alt. is fine, move on to the "big 3". That is - the ground from your batt to the frame/chassis, the ground wire from the batt to the engine block, and the power wire from your alt to your battery. Upgrade these wires to one step up from what the power wire that your subwoofer amplifier gets. Since my amp takes 4 gauge, i would need to upgrade with 2 gauge. Here's a helpful thread from my dodge website, breaking the whole thing down, read down for more detailed instructions...http://www.dodgeintrepid.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=28585&highlight=big+three+wiring

·
Registered
180 Posts
a 2 farad cap should be able to handle in excess of 2000 watts if your lights are still dimming at 1200 watts something is wrong... i'd check your grounds or maybe your battery... as for starting your car, i would check all your wires for corrosion (alternator, starter, and battery)... and make sure your negative battery terminal is ok... i had the same problem in my car... pushed it two miles home in the rain and all i had to do was move the negative battery terminal to get a better connection and it started right up...

·
Registered
129 Posts
I thought the same thing about caps, but over time i've learned from the hard-core electrical engineers (i spoke at length with several highly qaulified people about this) They're kind of a band-aid fix more than they are a total fix.

·
Registered
129 Posts
point proven... but back to helping you, have you tested your alternator?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
alright got the car back the battery and the alternater are both fine so wtf is my problem could it the the saftey swtich when i put the clutch in or the starter?

·
Registered
129 Posts
i would look into that switch, but i would definitely start wiring up your underhood area, can't hurt either way, its only gonna take burden off of your electrical system, what's your alt rated at, like 90 amps?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im not to sure what the laternater is rated but i am still gonna have it built up so that it can handle the power and i can pump my system and i am deffinatly going to lookin into that saftey swtich

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok ok teh car is running again and everything now someone told me somthing about building my alternater up so it can handle it how much do you think its gonna cost and how much does a stock 97 vr6 alternater how much can it handle and shit ya know

1 - 13 of 13 Posts