VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best/cheapest solution for upgrading the sound system in my car? I currently have the monsoon and would really like to get a small boost out of it. I was hoping just to add a small sub to the exisiting amp. Is this possible? I'm not looking to get bass powerful enough to blow my windows... As I said before, I'm happy with the current setup, but would like a little added bass. Thanx in advance

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
If bass is all you want to add, I would suggest SAS Bazookas. They range from $150 to $500 depending on size and if it's powered. A buddy of mine had passive 6" tube in the back of his 300ZX and it was a really sweet sounding bass.

Bazooka Page

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
The way i went was a 160a2 RF Amp with a 12" RF Sub. Total price is about $200-$250 if you do your own install. This is added to the 8 speakerMonsoon System. Sounds real nice!!

I know it's not fancy like some others on here have there's, but it's easy to take out if i need to haul alot of stuff.
jon

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Jon, I think I'm gonna go with the amp/sub setup. I'd really like to take the time to do my own install but I need a step by step (with pics).. know where I can find a good one? I'd like to leave the current head unit and monsoon amp powering the speakers in tact.

I ended up getting a setup for pi$$ cheap.
- 222w sony xplod amp (very entry level I'm sure)
- 700w sony xplod sub
- Gray felt matching box
all for the equivalent of US$110, taxes in!! Brand new!!! Gotta love BOXING DAY!!!!

** since the sony amp is small, I was hoping to put it in the side compartment on top of the exiting amp (where the cd changer slot is- it fits perfectly)

Thanx guys!!!

[ December 28, 2002: Message edited by: Stebe ]

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Sounds like you got a great deal!! Just be careful of placing the amp there. It's not very thick and after some time it might come loss.
jon

·
Registered
112 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stebe:
[QB]Hey Jon, I think I'm gonna go with the amp/sub setup. I'd really like to take the time to do my own install but I need a step by step (with pics).. know where I can find a good one? I'd like to leave the current head unit and monsoon amp powering the speakers in tact.
[QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want some step by step pics, you can follow the link in the "Pics of ongoing GTI install thread." That should give you an idea of what you're up against.

This may be helpful: http://www.gti-vr6.net/library/RadioampCDchangerspeakersFUBAantennae_index.html

There's some other stuff I can't find the link to, but if you pick some good keywords and search around google, you should be able to find "monsoon sub install" information.

It's definitely doable by yourself, and you don't even need to drill into the firewall. All of the panels come off easily enough and there is plenty of room to run power and rcas to the rear. However, you will need a special adapter to utilize the speaker outs on the monsoon with your amp (that will end up costing you).

A Bentley manual can be helpful if you are stumped about removing a certain panel, or just shoot a post here. Btw, you pull up and out to remove that dead pedal (many people have broken theirs).

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Stebe:
[QB]
** since the sony amp is small, I was hoping to put it in the side compartment on top of the exiting amp (where the cd changer slot is- it fits perfectly)
[QB]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As long as you have some place to screw the amp in, and you aren't impeding airflow over the monsoon amp, I suppose that should work. I know that there is a large space behind the left rear side panel that some people have used. Under one of the seats also works.

Remember to always run power and signal separately. Best of luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts