VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I am not a car person but I thought this might be a good place to post my issue to get feedback on. I drive a 2001 VW Jetta Gl.. Nothing too special about it but sometimes when I am driving/accelerating it sounds as though the car has custom exhaust. I am not sure if there may be a hole in the exhaust pipe somewhere and it sounds like it is coming from the underside of the car(DUH) under the center console in between the driver and front passenger seat.. Hopefully that made some sense.. LOL

[ February 01, 2004: Message edited by: SymplyStarryNite ]

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Have you owned the car since it was new? Do you still have a warranty left? if you do, bring it to the dealership, otherwise if you bring it to an exhaust palce, they will look for you and tell you what's wrong and how much it will cost. I doubt they will charge you for it.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Welcome to the Forum.

As for your noise, I have seen many a 2.0 4cyl come in to my dealership with the complaint of an exhaust rattle around 2500-3000 RPM. This noise is actually not the exhaust, but the metal shield on the oil pan. Most of the time the customer has us remove the offending shield, but if you wish to keep it on, you can have it isolated from metal to metal contact with some foam rubber or some Butyl tape.

I could be wrong, as I am a bit far away to hear your car in person, but most 2.0 exhaust rattle complaints lead to that metal shield rattling. Hope I was able to help.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i needed my CAT replaced after 28,000, thankfully it was warrentied, however it doesnt sound like a noisy exhaust, more like a huge rattling sound that from outside the car, is very embarrassing, bring it to VW, may be warrentied, ya never know

·
Registered
777 Posts
im not sure about the 2.0 but on the vr6 there are 2 "mufflers" on the factory exhaust one is exactally where your talking about i think you have an exhaust leak right behind that one...this would give the sound of custon exhaust without sounding like a fart can and without ratteling, you should stop off at a midas and have them take a look, i doubt they'll charge you.. remember to tell them to take the whole crossmember off and not try to work around the hanger in the middle

edit: they'll know what you meen about the crossmember thing

[ February 01, 2004: Message edited by: GalacticVR6 ]

·
Registered
291 Posts
When I first read it I was thinking hole in the exhaust or possibly needing a new catalytic converter or something but it seems a little early for any of that stuff to be going depending on how much you use it and beat it. But listen to Carson he knows what hes talking about!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts