VW Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone change their plugs?
the 2 plugs in the middle look nearly impossibly to get at.
any suggestions

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
I have. I suggest getting a really long socket extention to get in there to crack it loose. Then you can use a piece of hose to go overtop of the spark plug to twist if off. Becareful and don't rush it...the last thing you want is a stripped plug sitting in your head. Best!

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
I would suggest getting a spark plug removing socket, makes life a whole lot better. Might be easier to remove the #2 & #3 fuel injector electrical connections for a little more space, NOT the injectors! As Dave mentioned, a socket extender is a must, and it's good practice to clean around the plug seat BEFORE removing them (compressed air will do). Last thing, always remember to torque those babies down as per VW specs! For you, 22ftlb/30nm.

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i tried getting the fi conectors off but i wasn't sure how they come off.
i didn't want to damage anything so i put it on hold until i could find out some more info.
if i can't go through with it, how much will the dealer charge to change them?
also is a standard air filter that bad? i've seen some post about a k&n brand

thanks

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
#1. You need the Spark Plug Wire removal tool (available from your local VW dealer or find it online, I forget the tool #) to properly remove the wires from the plugs.

#2. Once you get the wires out, I recommend using a ratchet, with a locking extension (if you don't have a locking extension, its ok, as long as you have long pliers to fish out the socket if it sticks to the plug) and a 5/8 swivel spark plug socket. Makes life easy doing that job, trust me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts