VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my speedo isn't working.i think the cable snaped...it was making a trk trk trk noise,and it was jumping up and down...
the question is.is it to hard to replace!?
is it expensive!?

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Blue92mk2:
no its not hard to replace and u can get one from a junkyard pretty cheap...it has to be from your car though<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Its common, happens to alot of mk2's and 3's, on the good side, your mile meter doesn't go up

Can't load a sig from ur harddrive tim, upload it to a station

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok,when i talked to a friend of mine,that works on a original parts store,he asked my,wich thing was broke!it can be from something else then the cable...
guys!?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by HidRo:
ok,when i talked to a friend of mine,that works on a original parts store,he asked my,wich thing was broke!it can be from something else then the cable...
guys!?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's almost always the cable. Either it's broken or unhooked. It would be broken inside the housing, where you can't see it. The speedo part of the instument cluster almost never goes out, although the odometer almost alway does.

On the other end of the cable, inside the tranny, there's a gear. I don't know how it could break, but if everything else it fine, that's the last place to look.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it was out...but when i toke it for a spin,i saw the cable is like not doing a consistent turn.it looks like it stops and goes all the time...but its ok for now

·
Registered
378 Posts
The same thing happened to my Jetta. One day I was driving around, hit a bump and the speedo dropped, it never went back up. Now the car is in a barn, and I'm hoping to find a 140 or even better a 160, but i will be getting a new cable and everything when the time comes. I still have to find a motor.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
last night,speedo died again...took the lower part of the dash off,and got to the cable.it was in...took the speedo out,and went for a spin...the cable was not moving...this could be the cable or something in the tranny?cause,if its in the tranny,i'm f****,right!?

oh and another thing...my gas meter was working fine.after i removed it,it looks like it was getting a litle longer to get the gas needle on the correct place.and know,it doesn't move!!!!what the f***???should i clean all the contact of the cluster!?

[ January 04, 2004: Message edited by: HidRo ]

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok,took the connector from the gas(white plug),connector cleaner on it,its ok.but it looks like its reading low gas...i putted 20l and it does come up the red thing...

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i did my speedo cable removal and refiting.it was a PITA but...
i payed something like 26€ (26$ aprox) for the cable and the gear drive.now the needle doesn't jump around,doesn't make noise,its perfect!!!

the only thing is the l/km...its not right!.it shows 20l/100km or more!!
but a man can't have it all!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I had an issue with the gas gauge too.. it ended up being an alternator problem.

Also, my cable was just unplugged on the backside of the dash, which caused the speedometer to not rotate. The gear and all that in the tranny were fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts