VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speedometer and tachometer on my 1999 Jetta A3, Automatic, Wolfsburg Ed., both go out to zero while driving.
All other electrical equipment works well and fuses are OK.
Speedometer and tachometer return to normal after turning the car off and resting for a few minutes.
This is and intermittent and recurring problem.
What could be wrong? Is this a common problem?

·
Registered
175 Posts
cluster probably went out, but check the wiring first and your fuses and relays. get ready to spend 300 from the dealer for the cluster or find a used one for the fraction of the dealers price. good luck

oh yeah mine went out a couple of years ago but it was just the speedo. had to replace the whole thing
!!!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Cluster went out on mine last fall. unfortunatley it wasn't cheao ti replace, but there was nothing else wrong.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hm...Thanks for the info as well, this recently happened to a friend of mine who has the exact same car as yours. I will tell him about doing the wiring check first.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just found out that used clusters in good working conditions are very hard to find.
Therefore, since this problem seems to be very common, I decided not to risk it with a used cluster that might also go out some time soon.
I begged the dealer and got an excellent deal for a new one $300 including instalation and computer setup.
Hope this one last longer than the factory installed cluster!
Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
12 Posts
this happened to me while driving about a month ago, i was driving and i saw that both the tach and the speedo went to zero, and a couple seconds later were fine.. the trip meter and clock were reset, but the odometer stayed where it was (damn
) I have the 99 Jetta Wolfsburg gen 3... since its only happened once and hasnt happened since then, would you think it was something else or that theyre gonna go?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, the same thing is happening to my 97 GOlf GL. I am really pissed considering it is ILLEGAL to drive a car w/ out a speedometer. It is intermittent and reoccuring, which makes it really annoying. Why dont they recall this thing????????

·
Registered
676 Posts
i know this is just a long shot but i found a new cluster on ebay for WAAAy under $100, lets say $50 to my house
I might be gettin rid of my old A3 cause it was recked by a deer couple months back. Was hoping to rebuild it but I dont think it will be worth my effort.
let me know if you might be interested i'll sell it for cheap being a vw freak like the rest of us all!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes, ill get back to you on that. I need to find out if thats going to reset my odometer to a new number. I think ill go to the dealer sometime and ask them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts