VW Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
REally dumb question here.. new to the whole VW thig.. but were teh 50Km/h mark is, there is a red line.. Why? is that the sweet spot for fuel economy or something?

thanks!
Eric

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it is a 92 golf, 5 door.
it's on the speedo and not the tach. just between 40km/h and 60km/h (were the 50km/h should be) it's just a red notch. it does not appear anywere else on the speedometer.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I know on some domestic cars in the early 90's (in the U.S.) they would have that red mark for the speed limit (at 55 mph). I don't know if that would be the same thing??

·
Registered
499 Posts
Not exactly sure but I think it is for cruise control. my cruise doesn't work below that mark anyway.

again, this is what i THINK it is.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Cruise Control? whats that? i have never seen that mark on the speedo. Beats me like a stepfather?????????

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hmm im totally guessin on this but mabey is the mark to show at what speed the engine can be in 5th and at an optimum rpm level for fuel econ.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have the same red mark on my 90 gti. My theory was that maybe the red mark is just to highlight 50 km/h since it is a common speed (at least in Canada it is), but the last post made a lot of sense as well. Is there a red mark on speedometres graduated in miles per hour?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
guys, he was saying it was on the speedo not the tack. well, hey just my 2 cents, but i think its the old speed limit on the freeways, like saying, please dont go faster then me. but thats just my 2 cents. hope that helps. and ppl, not trying to be mean or anything, i mean, help all you can, but read the question and other posts on a topic b4 replying. not trying to be mean once again. and DB, get after me if i am being bad ok. thanks

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Ladies and Gents. All Mercedes have that too. The speed limit in KM/H is 50 in the City in Germany and Canada. And guess why that should help you? I hope this resolves some issues.

PS: Some older Mercedes had that area marked Yellow and Black like they use it in older Aircraft.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I believe that is for best fuel economy in fifth gear.Plus when these cars where made that was the max speed limit in most of the u.s.a. .

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
The only reason why the mark is there is to indicate the 50 KM/H. Which is the speed limit in Canada and European countries in the city. That's it.

Mark, if you are going at 33 MP/H in 5th gear... so help you God.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts