VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my speedometer doesn't work. it comes on sometimes and it wacks out too. what could the problem be? i've tried checking for a loose wire but i can't find one and all my fuses work.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Sound to me like you VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) is bad. The sensor is mounted on the transmission. Probably somewhere near the differantial part of the transmission If its a manual transmission its got only one sensor. If its a auto it could have as many as 3 sensors.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just replaced my speed sensor that goes into the transmission for the very same reason. I do not think it fixed the problem though. The Haynes manual lists a speed sensor under the dash, but I am not sure where. I know that when it does go out, I sometimes hear a clicking noise. I will let you know what I find...

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have the same problem and I hear a clicking noise after shutting the car off. The speedo needle wiggles at zero for about 3 seconds while clicking and then falls dead.

I am getting ready to buy a new gauge cluster to fix this. Am I makeing the right decision?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts