VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Two problems:
1.)Fellow VW owners at my work are saying that if I get the Eibach kit that drops the '01 Jetta ~1.8" that my car will need other modifications because it is too low with some of the other stock parts. Is this true and if so what are the other parts needed.
2.)If i can run this spring setup I would only be adding springs. How bad is this for the suspension? Would it be NECESSARY to get shocks too?
Thanks in advance ~ Dan

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
If you buy the spring kit from your VW dealer, they are designed to work with your stock shocks/struts. This kit is manufactured by Eibach, and I don't know if its any different from the regular kits they sell. If you decide to go with a kit made by another manufacturer, depending on the spring rate and the drop, you will most likely have to run upgraded shocks/struts.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i have a 2001 jetta glx and i lowered it with the eibach sportlines. which is supposed to lower it 2 inches. i was low on money at the time and i ran factory shock/strut setup with lowering springs. now two years later (25,000mi) it is still like that and i have no problems at all.

just my .02 cents

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
If you buy the spring kit from your VW dealer, they are designed to work with your stock shocks/struts. This kit is manufactured by Eibach, and I don't know if its any different from the regular kits they sell. If you decide to go with a kit made by another manufacturer, depending on the spring rate and the drop, you will most likely have to run upgraded shocks/struts.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

hay carson is it true that the spring kit vw sells is the same as the eibach pro kit(which lowers your car 1.2')?

also my friend lowered his car 1.7' and is running on stock shocks for about a year now. everything seems to be okay but he is going to upgrade his shocks this summer. it's best to get a shock and springs combo.

[ February 09, 2004: Message edited by: 1point8T ]

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
The "vw" eibachs (sport package) don't drop anything. Its just a stiffer spring rate. Your ride will remain the same height.

This is not saying that a VW dealer wont sell you the regular Eibach springs though. I hope I'm not confusing things but Eibach Pro springs (which i have on the stock 2.0) will give you about a 1.4"~1.5" drop. (thats about two fingerwidths in front and three in back between your tire and wheel well.)

I think, as the large majority, that you should always swap out your shocks/struts when lowering your car. OEM shock/struts are not designed for lowering. It makes not only performance sense but also $$ sense in that you don't want to pay for the install twice.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
what springs are used in the 337/20th ae? i always thought it was the springs that they sell in the driver gear book.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I believe the springs on the 337/20AE are Eibach supplied as well, but will only reduce your stock ride height by about .5". I had one of the guys at my dealership run out to the lot and measure the two cars.

The dealer (many a VW tuner type works at mine) say you CAN run the 337/20AE springs on stock shocks, but it isn't ideal. I purchased some 337 springs on Ebay when I was early on in my planning for my 2.0 Golf, but in the end I went with the Eibach Pro Kit springs and Pro Dampers. I have no regrets.

·
Registered
32 Posts
One stock part that might need replacement is the anti-roll bar on the front if you lower the car a lot. The transmission will begin to contact the bar. There are bars out there that are bent differently than stock to avoid this problem.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
It is the front swqay bar that some replace, however some have had luck with using longer end links that can be ordered from Freedom Design instead. Replacing the entire front sway bar is a HUGE PITA also......

And it is not the trany it contacts, it is the axle.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I completely agree with Raf. The Driver Gear Eibach-made sport springs have the same ride height as the "Sport Suspension" option, but the springs are stiffer. They would be a good upgrade for those with non-sport suspension cars. I will probably be going with Vogtland Sport springs on mine, with Bilstein Sport struts. Unless my boy gets me a screaming deal on some Weitec coilovers.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
The problem with the factory shocks/struts and performance springs is that after 10k miles or so your shocks will be shot. It will happen slowly, so you may not notice it, but there will be a difference in handling. My suggestion: do the shocks and springs together.

·
Registered
32 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:
It is the front swqay bar that some replace, however some have had luck with using longer end links that can be ordered from Freedom Design instead. Replacing the entire front sway bar is a HUGE PITA also......

And it is not the trany it contacts, it is the axle.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoops. My bad.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts