Discussion Starter #1
eibach pro-kit or h&r sports?

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
both good names, I would go with H&R.

Eibach lowers 1.2 inches

H&R sports Approximate Lowering - Front 1.5" Rear 1.4"

do you want low, or lower? and are you going to switch out your suspension at the same time? I woudl recommend that you do-to save install costs. good luck

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
My recomendation:

H&Rs with either Konis or Blisteins.

Your choice though.

My car looks just about right with ride height, maybe a just a little bit lower would look good. And with Sports, you don't really have to worry about scaping on anything as long as you drive sensibly.

[ January 23, 2004: Message edited by: 109 LUVR ]

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Shine racing springs with bilstein HDs. If you've been in a car with them, you'd understand.

Shine Racing

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
Shine racing springs with bilstein HDs. If you've been in a car with them, you'd understand.

Shine Racing
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How long is the install? Since we can see that they charge 70 dollars per hour we can even calculate the whole cost. What makes you so pumped about this kit? The price is reasonable since they include the RSB but I don't know a lot about them.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
i was thinking of buying the eibach sports but i think that the h&r would look better. i personally think the .3' drop makes it look better imho.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have heard that replacing just the springs on a car can put a lot of wear on the shocks. I've heard you can even need to replace the shocks after about 10,000 miles. Is this the case at all and if so is it any different with the Wolfsburg "sport-tuned" suspension? Does it take the beating better ? How bad are we talking too because i am all about the cost of just doing springs. (Poor student/teenager)

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vwolfsburg18t:
I have heard that replacing just the springs on a car can put a lot of wear on the shocks. I've heard you can even need to replace the shocks after about 10,000 miles. Is this the case at all and if so is it any different with the Wolfsburg "sport-tuned" suspension? Does it take the beating better ? How bad are we talking too because i am all about the cost of just doing springs. (Poor student/teenager)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i'm in the same boat as you(poor student/teenager). when the summer time comes i'm either going to just buy the springs and then save up for the shocks or buy springs and shocks together. installation costs is not really a problem to me b/c my dad is a mechanic.

to answer your question the sport tuned suspension from the wolfsberg will take pretty much the same beating as other shocks. if your going to buy springs do it right and buy the springs and shocks together so you won't have to worry about the shocks after.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yea thats what i figured......thanks a lot I think I am going to do the shocks and springs same time too. Save on installation cost im sure and i want the real deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just put the Eibach pro kit springs on about a month ago and i like them a lot. They dont sit as low as others, which i like since its not scraping the ground or anything. I think the stance is just about right now, especially if you got some bigger wheels on. Also, ride is a little stiffer, but definitely bearable for a daily driver. I think theyre a nice compromise.

·
Registered
125 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by slakkinoff:
I just put the Eibach pro kit springs on about a month ago and i like them a lot. They dont sit as low as others, which i like since its not scraping the ground or anything. I think the stance is just about right now, especially if you got some bigger wheels on. Also, ride is a little stiffer, but definitely bearable for a daily driver. I think theyre a nice compromise.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

your ride will be stiffer until you get the bilsteins, pretty much because of the drop, the shocks are already in a depressed position, they wont last long though, even when you hit a major pot-hole, forget about it

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Take some advice from someone who did the poor college modding thing. Start a seperate savings account,a nd when you get spare money, put it in there. Then deside "if I could have the ideal (shocks, chip, wheels, etc...) and figure out how much you need to save. Then, when you get to that point, buy it. DO NOT BUY A SUBSTITUTE PART BECAUSE IT IS CHEAPER OR BUY HALF A SYSTEM(SPRINGS WITHOUT SHOCKS) BECAUSE IT WILL SUCK AND YOU WONT BE SATISFIED AND THEN YOU WILL EVENTUALLY RIP THEM OUT AND BUY THE BETTER STUFF ANYWAY.

Listen to your elders and save yourself some money and time...

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
How long is the install? Since we can see that they charge 70 dollars per hour we can even calculate the whole cost. What makes you so pumped about this kit? The price is reasonable since they include the RSB but I don't know a lot about them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Shine has different theories on suspension than a lot of companies that make springs. When I was there, they explained to me how it's bad to have a car (VW at least) that's lowered so much that the control arms are at a negative angle. They're exact quote was "In a perfect world, all control arms would be perfectly parallel to the ground." If you notice, VW's that are lowered much more than 1.5" or so have a tendency to steer towards bumps in the road, wheels spacers contribute to this also. In addition, lowering the center of roll below the center of gravity hurts the handling. Also, with progressive rate springs, when your car is on the ground, half of the coils are already all the way together because of the weight of the car, which only leaves you with a couple couls to work with, and this also greatly reduces shock travel.

When I was at Shine, there was a guy getting Shine springs, Bilstein HD's, and a Shine rear sway inistalled on his MK4 Jetta. It far and away outhandled mine, which has the same shocks, but H&R's. That was also with snow tires on and a wet road. I was absolutely amazed at the handling.

Give them a call and talk to them about it, or if you have a day with nothing to do, take a ride down there and talk to them, it's worth it.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Shine is the hotness, very good stuff but it will ride at almost stock height. Dick is the guy that owns it.....and like his name he can actually be a dick sometimes, but if you take what he has to say with a grain of salt (he will try to convince you his stuff is the best and everything else is junk) you will learn a lot. I would have to say that Dick Shine and Mike Potter (www.parts4vws.com) are probably the most knowledgable people I know of in the US when it comes to MKIV suspensions.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Dong:
Shine is the hotness, very good stuff but it will ride at almost stock height. Dick is the guy that owns it.....and like his name he can actually be a dick sometimes, but if you take what he has to say with a grain of salt (he will try to convince you his stuff is the best and everything else is junk) you will learn a lot. I would have to say that Dick Shine and Mike Potter (www.parts4vws.com) are probably the most knowledgable people I know of in the US when it comes to MKIV suspensions.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, Dick can be a Dick, he was telling me how shitty my exhaust was because it was all welded and they didn't use clamps, and he was giving me shirt about my springs and intake (Which I do not like, but it's the principle).

And one guy there, Justin, was saying that they consider themselves THE authority in VW suspension. He also said they think Techtonics Tuning would be their equivalent in engines.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Straz85:
Yeah, Dick can be a Dick, he was telling me how shitty my exhaust was because it was all welded and they didn't use clamps, and he was giving me shirt about my springs and intake (Which I do not like, but it's the principle).

And one guy there, Justin, was saying that they consider themselves THE authority in VW suspension. He also said they think Techtonics Tuning would be their equivalent in engines.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, it does sound like he can be dick. I mean, I don't want the people at the place where I get my work done to lap my nuts but at the same time I'd rather they didn't kick them.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tommunist:
Wow, it does sound like he can be dick. I mean, I don't want the people at the place where I get my work done to lap my nuts but at the same time I'd rather they didn't kick them.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't get me wrong though, when he's not a dick, he's really cool. He spent like 30 minutes looking at my car for me trying to figure out what was wrong with it. He succeeded too.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Don't get me wrong though, when he's not a dick, he's really cool. He spent like 30 minutes looking at my car for me trying to figure out what was wrong with it. He succeeded too.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well that's cool then. I'm really suprised that their suspension setup on a Jetta (heavier) would handle better than your GTI(lighter) when your GTI has a similar kind of setup. While I would like to maximize handling the stock ride height does leave a bit to be desired in the wheel gap area. Does the Shine kit lower the car at all?

[ January 28, 2004: Message edited by: Tommunist ]

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Well that's cool then. I'm really suprised that their suspension setup on a Jetta (heavier) would handle better than your GTI(lighter) when your GTI has a similar kind of setup. While I would like to maximize handling the stock ride height does leave a bit to be desired in the wheel gap area. Does the Shine kit lower the car at all?

[ January 28, 2004: Message edited by: Tommunist ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It might about .5", but no more than that. But it would also be good with the New England roads. It rides much smoother than any other performance springs, with less body roll.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
It might about .5", but no more than that. But it would also be good with the New England roads. It rides much smoother than any other performance springs, with less body roll.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I suppose I could live with that and you have a good point about our roads. With a Shine setup I could have the performance I want and still have a great car for everyday driving on our potholed rutty roads. If I go down there will they take me for a ride in a car with one of their suspension setups? Or did you just get lucky?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts