VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1) So a belt/pulley type sqeaking noise started early this week on startup on my car -Once up to 4th or 5th gear the noise would disapper instantly. Of course I had no time to mess with it. -First mistake

2)Next a slight electrical burning smell started getting into the cabin at a stand still. -Checked around the engine -could not find a problem -so I kept driving -second mistake.

3)Thursday morning my car amp goes nuts and IPOD won't play consistantly -Big clue -but of course I had 5 total places to be for work around atlanta and then a big soccer game that evening -no time to check out. third mistake

4)So I'm driving home after a long day of meetings and I see my cluster readouts start to fade -I'm thinking no big deal, then the power from my engine starts to fade -uh oh -Then my speedo and Tach drop to zero -mmm Then the engine shuts down.

So now then I am on the side of I-85 with my hood open working on my car. I guess the alternator pulley started to fail or needed lube which created the burning smell which eventually failed which caused my radio to act funny all day because unbeknownst to me I was running off battery all day and not creating any new energy.

Shitty day.

To make things worse -apparently when the engine is dead the alarm goes nuts -so about half of the time I am on the side of the road the Alarm if friggin going crazy. finally disabled it.

Got the car to my house by charging it for a while from the wife's vehicle

So now I have to change out the Alternator on my Vr6. I'm going to attempt to do it from the underside by removing the AC pump and PS and avoid the bumper radiator removal annoyance

-Anybody done it this way? How bad?

-I'm guessing that it will be a half day of beer drinking, a new belt (30 bucks), alternator (150 to 200 bucks)

sound right?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
dude just remove the four bolts holding your upper rad support onto the fenders, take your front indicators out and remove the 2 bolts holding the cross member to the frame. Then disconnect all your light harness's and the whole front end (Bumper, grille, headlights, and everything) slides right off in one peice. Its a 5 minute job.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dude just remove the four bolts holding your upper rad support onto the fenders, take your front indicators out and remove the 2 bolts holding the cross member to the frame. Then disconnect all your light harness's and the whole front end (Bumper, grille, headlights, and everything) slides right off in one peice. Its a 5 minute job.
You make it sound so simple. We shall see......:)

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Yep ive been pretty busy doing competitions and learning new shit. Its been fun but havent much time for my car this winter (or money).

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yeah, I still haven't made it to the slopes yet this year.

Might go to Big Bear when I'm in LA next week.

SO far this year all I have done is bomb the big hills in town, dropped some landscape walls, and done some nose presses when it snowed 6 inches in town last month.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts