VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my new 79 rabbit has the square headlights and when on ebay i found a stock euro grille with the circle and a asked the guy if they would fit and he said no but with some modifactions they will is this true or not

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
To do it right you have to cut the core support out and replace it with a roundlight one.

On your car you can get away with making brackets for the headlights and mounting the round light grille. You fenders will work.

Avoid anyone that says "euro" grille when trying to sell one of these. Go to the junkyard... 75-78 rabbit and 80-93 cabriolet. They're easy to get.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When u say core support that means the radiator support right? some kid at my school said a radiator support and a core are different.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
For our purpose they're the same.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how do u get the core support out? is it easy or hard or can i just buy a new one if so where would i do that at

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Go to the junkyard with a sawzall. Pull-A-Part gets $26 for them. You just have to wait for the right car to come out.

New ones are about $100.

Changing a core support DOES INVOLVE A WELDER. So don't jump into this is you can't weld.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
What if you want to install double rounds and remove the single rounds that are there?Same thing or different?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Same core support, the driving lamps in the dual rounds mount to the grille so all the stuff on the car is the same.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Cool!Thanks, but I think I will kepp the single round lights !I might change the headlights in my golf to double rounds some day.It has the sealed beam square lights in there now.I think that was the only year they used that grill (1986).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts