VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if someone could explain the system itself i am a little confused on it i am not sure what it does and how it works
if someone could get back to me that would be fine
thanks
adam

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
Been watching Fast and Furious have we?
I also am not so sure about this and would like to know.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
actually i needed for a presentation i was doing today i already got it though
so no i didnt get it from the fast and the furious

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
To to put as simply as I can replaces the entire OEM engine management system (there are also piggyback versions)
Most of the replacements let you tune injector duty cycles, ignition advance/retards, ect.. Some control only the fuel injection part (MegaSquirt) and others do both (Electromotive TEC).
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> a Motec, Autronics, Electromotive, Hal etc unit will come with sensors or in some cases use the factory sensors for things like air flow, manifold pressure, air temp, intake air temp, water temp, crank possition, OXS... then it will do some math and decide how long to fire the injectors for (ie how much fuel to add to the air) and when to spark the air/fuel mix.
Sometimes standalone systems do other cool things like Anti Leg, basicaly fireing the air fuel mix with the exaust valve open to keep the turbo spooled up thus removing any turbo leg.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
I run an Autronic standalone in my car. You really need it past a certain point. Eventually in the horsepower game you'll need bigger injectors, or more control over the system, and this is where standalone comes in.

Plus I get some extra goodies: Anti-Lag, 2, Step rev control, Distributorless ignition (coil packs), and two "switches" that can be set by rpm, coolent temp, boost, etc. I use one of them for a shift light, but you can also use it for VVT in 1.8t cars or VTEC in Hondas.

I can control ignition timing throughout the rpm range and set by manifold vacuum/boost, as well as my fuel curve throughout.

It's another handy dandy form of adjustment.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I barely keep my eyes on the road when i start tinkering with my radio settings...i'd kill myself with all those buttons and switches and whatnots!

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Stand-alone management is a necessity when you go beyond the parameters that stock (or chipped) engine management can handle. Stand-alone is designed to handle whatever you can possibly throw at it (timing, VVT, boost, nitrous, whatever) so that you make more power without grenading your engine (hopefully).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts