VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well i went to start up the diesel today. i turn the key and nothing happens the car wont even turn over.so i turned on the lights and they still work but the car wont turn over there is on clicking sound or a whirlling sound. so i think it might be the solenoid or maybe the starter any other ideas.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I know on some starters you can stick a screw driver across the silenoid and see if it does anything. If it does then you can narrow it down to the silenoid.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Make sure the starter trigger wire is hooked up. It's the smaller red wire that runs to the starter. Falls off on my truck every now and again.

Also make sure the starter bolts are tight, if they loosen up the starter loses its ground and wont turn.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i put the screw driver on the starter and the ignition and i just got a whirlling sound the gear didnt kick out so i think it is the solenoid iam right?

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
Whole starter, Tacoma Pull-A-Part, $13

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does it have to be a starter from another diesel rabbit or can it be from any rabbit or maybe any other mk1

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 79_rabbit:
does it have to be a starter from another diesel rabbit or can it be from any rabbit or maybe any other mk1<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Deisel compression is high. A standard starter wont spin it fast enough to get started. Stick with the deisel starter.

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
yep

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
does anyone know what size allen key i use get the bolts that connect the starter to the engine i think there is two of them but im not sure

·
Registered
5,109 Posts
8mm, but a 3/8 allen works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts