VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody. Im FiRe KiTTeN and I'm new to this site. Ok, so I have a 2001 VW Cabrio GLX Convertible 2.0l, with a manual transmission. The other day when I went to start my car, it failed to start. The battery and cables are fine. There's 戮 of a tank of gas, the oil and tranny fluid are at specification level, the connections to the starter are tight and secure, no blown fuses or relays, the fuel pump is operational, it cranks, but it won't start. I took a video recording of the sound it makes when I try to start the car, and was thinking that it might be a bad starter solenoid, but was hoping someone could listen to my recording and give me their opinion on what it sounds like to them. Any advice is helpful and much appreciated. 馃檪 Crank no start

Registered
It鈥檚 not the starter or solenoid. They either spin the motor or they don鈥檛. You have not indicated how many miles or if the engine was cold or hot. If you know that you are getting fuel through the injectors - plugged gas filter - then it might be the cam position sensor or crank position sensor.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I'd it's a cam position sensor, I'm not sure this car has one, I've searched. It does had a hall effect sensor at the bottom of the distributor bracket. And if it does have a camshaft sensor, would you happen to know the location? My fuel pump relay was bad, so I replaced that, but still won't start. My car has 148,749 miles and i was starting the car from a cold start

Registered
Cold start issue makes this much a much broader potential problem. It could be the crank sensor, but it could also be a host of other things. There are a number of videos on you tube that show you how to replace it if you want to start parts swapping. It鈥檚 not too easy to get to. Go to rock auto to see what the sensor looks like. You should have a check engine light. You should have someone pull the codes to give you an idea of the problem before you go down this road.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts