VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 1990 gti 8v, when i start it, it turns over, revs to 1500 then goes to zero and stalls. Anyone know what the problem could be? By the way it's -8 celcius here, (16 f), and my starter is new, thanks.

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
Prob is mad at u for wanting to take it out in that weather. Some fluids may have frozen (they should). I cant think of anything, fule pump it shouldnt start at all... Sry can't help much on this one.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
could be frozen gas. Mine used to do that. go to the autoparts store and get some isopropyl gasoline antifreeze. It'll thaw out the gas and keep it from freezing. even if that's not the problem, it's a good idea to do when it get's that cold.

·
Registered
524 Posts
sounds like something with the air flow possibly... i dont know if this relates but on my mom's subaru when you check the air filter a hose usually disconnects and if you dont reconnect it, the car starts up for about five seconds raises in rpm's then stalls.

[ December 14, 2003: Message edited by: projectmk2 ]

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by projectmk2:
condensation may form in the gas tank/lines... thus water is in the gas and that is what freezes<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
yeah mine used to do this all the time when it got really cold. Now whenever it gets below 20 i fill my tank and pour some in.just in case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts