VW Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
do I have to buy a '93 steering wheel kit (no airbags)for my '95? because they told me that they don't make kits for 95.

·
Registered
141 Posts
well the thing is, if i remember correctly, that starting in 94 all passenger vehicles were required to have airbags, and well since ur car is a 95 it was supposed to have them. now here is where it gets interesting, steering wheel manufacturers say that their wheels are not compatible with wheels that have airbags because of that law. so what they sometimes do is neglect to even mention the cars that a particular steering wheel kit will fit onto. so even though ur car is a 95 and the steering wheel kit will fit, they only say it will on a 93.. or at least that's what i've beeen told

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great news..... thanks man

·
Registered
175 Posts
The thing is when it is illegal to put on a wheel that doesn't have an airbag if your car had an airbag to begin with. You will not be able to get it inspected with i ton and it will void your car insurance. They look and feel great, but you will have to change it out everytime you get an inspection and you won't be able to get any money from your insurance if you crash.

·
Registered
194 Posts
That's not totally true. If your car has been in an accident and your air bags were deployed, then you can change your wheel and still get away with it.

My car was salvaged when I bought it. It was a minor bumper to bumper incident, but the bags were deployed. The previous owner installed a grant steering wheel on it and put it up for sale.

I still managed to get it insured but I don't know, maybe the rules are different in california then they are on the east coast.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey those evil airbags PUNCH ME AND MY FRIEND I don't want to see them again ......EVER.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts