VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 95 GTi VR6 and I'm tryin to see if anyone knows the steps to shaving the fuel tank...well mostly how I can get the rear light to open to fill the tank up in there? Anyone know if there's a kit or something? Cause my body mechanic and I are looking for some good/or any advice. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
It would mean sealing the hole of where your gas tank lid opens. Extending the tank towards the rear (brake light). Fabricating a hinge/seal for your tail light. It sounds like a LARGE undertaking. I'd do additional research to find someone that has actually done this before.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
i think i've seen this process done before. it is a huge undertaking and the electrical wires would be a little to close to the gas tank, which could be very dangerous, but go for it b/c it would be pretty unique!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I've seen it done on a honda, but that probably isn't what you wanted to hear, is it? It looked really unique, but it also looked really expensive. But then again, he chromed all the hinges out and everything...pretty cool. Go for it!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
if you decide not to go in through the light then just fabricate the tank to open inside your trunk/hatch. that would be easier than messing with the light! ive seen this done with custom pickups but they have plenty of room in the tailgate

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
You could do behind the license plate too.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
I just saw this done on a corrado in performanceVW magazine (the newest issue-not the u.s. issue) very very sweet idea. be careful. I would be hesitant about running the gas line near any wiring.

·
Registered
777 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by big dub:
if you decide not to go in through the light then just fabricate the tank to open inside your trunk/hatch. that would be easier than messing with the light! ive seen this done with custom pickups but they have plenty of room in the tailgate<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

right on! you can put your fill nozzle anythere that is higher than your fuel tank, when i dide them (alwayse on trucks) we just scrapped the tank and put a fuel cell in the bed
if its not a family car get a cell and mount it in the trunk, looks sooo sick and beats the hell out of plumbing the blasted fill hose! then all you have to do is weld your fuel-door up if its metal, then start sanding and bondo-ing my advice would be take it to a body shop.....

Jazz Fuel Cells i wouldent get above a 16 gal

1 - 9 of 9 Posts