VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Winter is now here in Denver, CO. It's been snowing for 2 days straight now.

Now I notice that my stick is very sluggish, almost sticky when I try to shift gears when the car is cold. After the car has been warmed up for about 15-20 minutes it's easier to shift again. No grinding or stalling though.

Any reason why? Do I need to lube something?

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
When i was installing the TT Shift Linkage on my MK IV, It's all by cables, so i'm thinking that with it being cold, The cabels are real stiff and as your engine warms up, it's warming the cabels which in turn make them more flexable. But that's just a guess.
jon

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm thinkin trans. fluid viscosity. It's thick and gooey when cold and after warm up, the same as always. Those syncronizers depend on the fluid for smooth shifting. How many miles since you've had the fluid changed????

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I personally haven't changed the fluid. I've only added some recently. I've had my car for about 5 months now and I have no idea if the fluid was changed by the previous owner.

Something I should look into I guess.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
The shifter being "sticky" is normal until the trans. warms up.Just let the car warm up for a couple of minutes first.Then keep on driving

1 - 5 of 5 Posts