VW Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
You will need a fender rolling tool, or the old baseball bat fender roller trick. 18's will not fit on a MKII without serious problems.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
You will have to bang out your inner feners bad!Plus those rims might be way to wide .Every time you turn you might rub the inner wells.I would go with 16" rims and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
I have 17x7's and it's dropped 2.5". They rubbed real bad. I had to seriously mod my fender in the front. With 18's it would be horrible. With stock springs the outer fender might not give you problems but it will hit on the inside well. Mine did. I had to beat it in a little. I don't really think it would be worht the hassle. But it's your car. I saw a mk2 with 19's before so it's possible. But i think 17' are about the limit and they are pushing it depending on the offset. Plus you're talking serious 4x4 mode with stock springs.Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
yeah i would say that either 16 or 17 would be perfect on that car.

·
Registered
349 Posts
ive seen 18's on a mk2 jetta with the stock suspension and there was still a small wheel gap. i dont know if he had to roll the fenders or not but i expect that you would. good luck

·
Registered
573 Posts
To my knowledge, a stock MK2 can handle 17s MAX without having to do something with the fenders. If they're wide 17s or above, then you have to bang out the fenders. I've seen 18s on an MK2 once, sick! Shame they kept rubbing though

·
Registered
573 Posts
16's should fit well... and look slammin'

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm also looking to "upgrade" my wheels. '87 Jetta on 14's right now... I'm thinking 15's or 16's, my question is more of TIRE size, 195/50TR15 or 205/40HR16. Will these work on a stock suspension? I'll eventually upgrade the suspension too, but at a later time.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Stock suspension can handle pretty big wheels. I had 17x7 with no probs. A friend had 17x8 with out any rub. Lowered everything 16 and smaller should be fine. Offset comes into play too. 17's with the right offset won't rub.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 17 by 8 wide wheels on my A2 Golf, with 215-40/17 tires. They needed a lot of pounding on the inside of the rear wells to open the space needed. I have very stiff race springs from Shine Racing that keep sag in check, and even so, clearance is very minimal. With a softer spring, easily deflected, or lowered suspension, rubbing could be a big problem. The suggestions to roll out the fenders and bang in the inners are real-world truth. Been there, done that. I cut out a lot of metal behind the plastic flares to make real room, not just the look of a flare. With 18s, even with 35 series tires, clearance will be a BIG problem. Also consider the rolling diameter..as it will change your effective final drive ratio as the rolling radius keeps going up>>>Slower aceleration will usually result, just as with a 'taller' set of pinion gears

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So my saga comes to an end i have found a set of five star 16" white rims w/ tires for $375 such a deal could not be passed up so hopefully they will be on my car along with a set of new springs(one rear one was blown out in two places) thanks for the help mabye i'll move up to 17's but until that day...thank you

1 - 17 of 17 Posts