VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if any of you had insight as to what this could be.

the info: This is a mk4 (MKIV) Jetta, 2.0, 5 speed manual transmission, it is a 2001.
The sound you hear happens at idle, but also happens during driving, just seems quieter, but they may be because of road noise and other factors etc.

This sound also doesnt always happen right away, usually only if the car has warmed up a bit.

Tensioner was recently replaced (like 2 weeks ago) made this sound before and after it was replaced, made the sound for months.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
what an annoying sound lol idk anything about 2.0's so i cant help but best of luck

·
Registered
682 Posts
Dunno either. Are you sure it's coming from the accessory belt area and not the timing belt area ? Does the sound change at all if you turn the A/C on ?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dunno either. Are you sure it's coming from the accessory belt area and not the timing belt area ? Does the sound change at all if you turn the A/C on ?
I'm not sure exactly where from. I just know its somewhere that sounds like the right side. Might not even be a belt or pully at all. I thought it couldve been the A/C compressor but i havent noticed any change in the sound when my A/C is on.
Could a power steering pump be the culprit? I'm not sure what would make this sound, sort of a hard sound to describe.
It sounds a little more high pitched in the video than it does in real life too.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
Remove the serp. Belt and spin each accessory. It sounds like a bad bearing in either the alternator or a/c. Could be the power steering. Does the noise get worse or change sound when turning the wheel at idle?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Remove the serp. Belt and spin each accessory. It sounds like a bad bearing in either the alternator or a/c. Could be the power steering. Does the noise get worse or change sound when turning the wheel at idle?
i haven't noticed a difference in the sound when i move the wheel all the way left or right, and the rpms stay at around 900 at idle steady, regardless of turning the wheel, if that helps.

·
MK4 & MK5 Owner
8,443 Posts
It can only be Few things:
Timing belt tensioner
Timing belt idler pulley
Serp. Belt tensioner(you said was replaced so rule that out)
Alternator
A/c
Ps
Really anything that is rotating can be causing the noise. It may sound funny but take a long screwdriver and place it near and on where you think the noise is coming from. Put you ear on the end of the screwdriver and listen. Usually you cantrace it pretty well with that method. Just watch rotating parts.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It can only be Few things:
Timing belt tensioner
Timing belt idler pulley
Serp. Belt tensioner(you said was replaced so rule that out)
Alternator
A/c
Ps
Really anything that is rotating can be causing the noise. It may sound funny but take a long screwdriver and place it near and on where you think the noise is coming from. Put you ear on the end of the screwdriver and listen. Usually you cantrace it pretty well with that method. Just watch rotating parts.
My gut feeling is that its the alternator. Its because i dont hear it right away, only after the car warms up, which makes me think maybe its related to that alternator, idk.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts