VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has a 98 gti vr6 and lately you hear a weird sound from the back. It sounds like it could be the sturt. It sounds like creaking noise. I was thinking it could be the excaust rubbing. It seems to do it in reverse more. Has anyone had this problem before?

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
More info please! Is it coming from one side or the other, does it only happen over bumps, has anything been replaced recently, etc...? It could be anything from the strut itself, to the strut bushings, sway bar, hubs, exhaust, wheel bearing, CV, drive axle bearing strut bearing, and on, and on...

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
73 Posts
When my rear strut blew it made noises like that just before it finally gave out. You'll have a really bouncy ride if thats the case.

Exhaust rubbing? Try gently tugging on the muffler and see if a hanger is broken. Its more likely you have a bad strut(or bushing), maybe a dented rim or wheel bearing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
mine sounds like that too .. but no bouncy ride yet maybe i jus need new bushings because it still handles on a damn dime and is stiffer than a board.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts