VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i got my jetta a little bit ago and it had this "funny" noise that i didnt notice right away. its like a humming that changes pitch as speed increases. the funny part is that when cornering it disappears. ive had the car for like a month now and its really starting to worry me. i had new front rotors and pads installed.

i just put new tires on it with a full alignment. when the dude put it on the lift he showed me exactly what was wrong with my struts. i guess in the mk3 models the strut mounts go bad every 20k miles. hed push up on the tire and see the strut mount push up. so i gota get that done. is this the cause of the noise? i have no clue what it could be. im still kinda new to this whole "car" deal so my knowledge of everything outside the engine is shakey.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what i was thinking - but wouldnt that still hum through a turn? the wheel is still spinning.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes it is prolly from the barrings. I had the same problem only when I turned the wheels a certain directions though, a really lowpitched hum. I got my bearing replaced and i am fine. The only problem is is that it is very hard to replace these parts.
~tesla

·
Registered
830 Posts
Not to disagree here but wouldn't a bad CV joint be the culprit? CV's usually follow the characteristic of the noise disapearing when the car is in a corner. And why would you have to replace the whole hub? I thought you could just replace wheels bearings right? That is the way it is on every other VW

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys. luckily all of this is covered under warantee so ill just keep bringing it back till its fixed. im gona make them wish they never offered me that warantee.

·
Registered
423 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by evilgti2000:
And why would you have to replace the whole hub? I thought you could just replace wheels bearings right? That is the way it is on every other VW
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The rear is like that. You can change the bearings and races. The front you have to change the hub. When a CV goes bad, it usually makes a clicking noise not a humming noise.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I would have a mechanic check the cv shafts,the strut bearings and the wheel bearings for wear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
to everyone who said berings +10 mod points for you. to everyone else...um....

thanks for the help guys. the car is finally driving like normal. i called up the VW dealership to find out about the struts and they said that a little play is acceptable and the offical docs say up to 7 inches is acceptable. so no worries there mine only move an inch at most.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts