VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I've nearly had it. I very much enjoy my car but don't see myself buying another VW. After $600 to replace the mass air flow meter, a coolant temp gauage, and a coolant leak, I got in my car this morning to find that the sunroof isn't closing properly. It stays slightly propped up when it should be flush with the roof. All this on a 2-year old car. NOT impressive. Any suggestions?

thanks all,
Hugh.

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
Damn I'm sorry to hear this. I think the term they use is lemon.
Maybe you got one, everynow and again I hear stories like this were something fails one after the other. It goes with the saying more gadgets on a car the more can go wrong.

I don't know what more I can give you for help other than stick with it. There is light at the end of the tunnel. If not you have my permission to buy a bullet & rent a gun!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the words of consolation. I certainly hope that I don't have a bitter lemon on my hands, time will tell. I'm assuming that no-one out there has any suggestions for recourse?

Anyone had this problem before or am I one of the unlucky few?

thanks,
Hugh.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
Damn I'm sorry to hear this. I think the term they use is lemon.
Maybe you got one, everynow and again I hear stories like this were something fails one after the other. It goes with the saying more gadgets on a car the more can go wrong.

I don't know what more I can give you for help other than stick with it. There is light at the end of the tunnel. If not you have my permission to buy a bullet & rent a gun!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
How many miles do you have on it?? it's three years old, but i would still argure with the dealership about it, saying all the problems you have had with it. You may also wanna call VWoA and complain to them. Wouldn't hurt.
jon

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well- I called VW Cust Care. In short: they're useless and won't cover anything. The warranty on the 2000 model is pathetic and essentially negligible as a recourse. So, I guess I'll have to shell out even more money.

Really annoying.
thanks for your help though.
Hugh.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTI2001:
How many miles do you have on it?? it's three years old, but i would still argure with the dealership about it, saying all the problems you have had with it. You may also wanna call VWoA and complain to them. Wouldn't hurt.
jon
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[ September 25, 2002: Message edited by: Hugh 2000GTIVR6 ]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
When this happened to mine, the belt had slipped a few teeth on the gear, and all they had to do was open up the housing and re adjust the belt. One thing that causes this is if you turn off the car before the sun roof finishes opening/closing, or if you move the nob while it is turned off.

Sorry to hear about the problems. All cars have their peculiarities. On VW it appears to be the windows predominantly, but I have heard alot about the MAF. On my Nissan it was the tranny synchros. It just happens as part of the complexities of modern auto's.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
i am very dissapointed with vw. i thought that when i pay this much for a "quality car" i should get quality. nothing like this ever happened with my last car, btw it was a civic. sure i felt like i was driving around in a tin frame on wheels but no problems what so ever. maybe my next car could be an audi. i know its the same as vw but they have to be a little more reliable.

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Hmm. the only problem that i have had with mine is:
1. Back hatch would not unlock when i first got my car.
2. The door handle on the driver's side inside was peeling.
All of this was replaced under warrenty.
I guess it all depends if the workers were lazy the day they build the car. who know's
jon

1 - 8 of 8 Posts