VW Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone on the forum has installed a supercharger or turbo in there GOLF? preferably a 1.6, but any other liter will be of benefit. If so, what was the make of the supercharger or turbo and which of the two did they think was a better power increase. I am leading towards a supercharger but am unsure of the engines capability and if it is worth spending the money aswell as the make of supercharger.

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
That is tough since we don't have the 1.6 in America. Maybe someone not from the US could answer...?

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Ok, so here is what I know from my limited knowledge with the two. When comparing the two, you have to consider the engine. A supercharger runs off a belt, and therefore sucks up some of the power of the engine, while a turbo relys on exhaust gasses to compress the incoming air. Based on this, I think that a small displacement engine would be better fit with a turbo, because it has less rotational inertia to propel the belt. I know that when you get into big motors (v-8's and the like) they almost always go with a super charger because they have that inertia. Now I'm sure that Boosted Bora may disagree b/c he has the supercharger, but to me it seems that the smaller engine would have an easier time with a turbo, and that a larger engine would do easier with the supercharger.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts