VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all
the idle of my 89 golf 8v races for a couple seconds, then falls and almost stalls, then races again. on and on. it drives normally, only does this when i start it up, and stop at lights and such. i really hope someone on here knows what the problem is.
thx all.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
there are a couple of things you can check. On the back of your thrittle body there is an electrical connection. Make sure it's plugged in and the wires aren't damaged. Also clean your isv out with throttle body cleaner. It's the cylinder on top of the valve cover with a plug on the drivers side and 2 rubber tubes on the other. And look for rips in the intake boot and both of the tubes to the isv. All of these things can cause that problem. It's digifant so it probably will never idle right. Mine has always had idle problems. And i bought it with 45,000 miles

·
Registered
526 Posts
when i start my car up it goes up to about 1100 and back to 900 does it for like 10 seconds then stays at 900. but sometimes it will do that and when its aobut to stop at 900 it drops to 0 and the car stalls and i found the problem to be 3 big slits in my resonator. i knew something was wrong even when i bought it because it was louder than it shoulda been. now if u let off the gas it does the put put thing and when u downshift it does it bad. i guess its backfiring but in any case if u cant get it figured out theres a couple other things to look at. jsut let me know if none of these work

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so i take it to my trusted local mechanic, he looks and looks, tells me he fixed it...i drive around a bit, the surging then almost dying has stopped, but now when i start it it goes to about 2 thousand, then gradually over about a minute drops to 9 hundred rpm.
i take it BACK in, the scratch there heads somemore, then call some VW place, and they ask me "has the battery been disconnected at all?" odd....i did replace the battery right before this started.
they said the people they talked to told them that the computers memory had been erased, and it will take about 50 starts for the computer to "relearn" the idle properties, and for it to resume normal idling. seeing as how every time i get in and drive around, it takes a little less time to resume normal idling, this answer makes sense so far.
anyone run into this before?

[ June 23, 2003: Message edited by: matterof8th ]

·
Registered
11 Posts
yeah my car has the same problem i have 2.0 motor with digi 1 ijection some people tell me that the problem is the fuel pump others tell me that is bad ground but i'm going to clean my isv maybe that will do it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts