VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get Neuspeed sway bars (both front and back-in 25mm or 28mm) both for $425 shipped, or $225 each. I see on the Neuspeed site that they go for $400 each (without shipping). My question is are they easy to install? And are they worth the money? I do like how my Bilstein/Sachs setup handles now-I take it these will improve my handling even more (with body roll).

I also can get the GIAC chip (any version of software) for $275 shipped. I understand regular price is normally $300. I would like to get a chip, but didn't know if I should get the chip installed at a show-I know some places have show specials--Installed for $250??? Is that right? Please let me know. I would like to respond to this guy this week.
Thanks to all in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
I can hook you up with a Neuspeed 28mm rear sway bar for about 150 bucks. It was used from whenever waterfest was until november.

As far as the install, the rear is a piece of cake. The front is a PITA. You'll have to drop your entire suspension to have enough room to remove and replace your stock bar.

There are two (or more)different schools of thought as far as the front sway goes. Personally, I don't think $$ and effort to install a front sway bar is justified unless you are autocrossing.

To put your mind at ease, I installed my own rear sway in roughtly half an hour.

Rear install PDF

Front install

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
Hey raf, got one of those for the ABD?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean the 2.0?

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RafCarre12:
I can hook you up with a Neuspeed 28mm rear sway bar for about 150 bucks. It was used from whenever waterfest was until november.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Raf--I PMed you about the rear sway bar-I'll let you know about it this week. thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
Raf--I PMed you about the rear sway bar-I'll let you know about it this week. thanks.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know. I already replied.

[ February 24, 2004: Message edited by: RafCarre12 ]

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
While installing swaybars it is also a good idea to replace the bushings. You can get super quality at tmtuning.com

Downfall with bushings is the amount of labor, but benefits are great, and they are cheap.

[ February 24, 2004: Message edited by: TF242 ]

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
That is a good price for the chip, I would go for it. As far as the sway bars, I think you will be fine with a rear one. It will reduce body roll and under steer.

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
I was wondering about that. raf, will that sway bar come with newer bushings? I wonder if IMPEX autoparts have them. I will be getting some parts from them. thanks Thomas...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The sway bar comes with all the parts needed to install it. No strut bushings. Take a look at the PDFs i linked to; they include a parts list.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
Well, I got my GIAC installed by AWE at Waterfest for $250....I removed my own ECM though. They wanted you to put your car in the Chipping Corral, which you had to pay to get in, then wait for a guy to come over...you get your money back afterwards, but...why have them do it when I already know how to do it myself, and I didn't feel like moving my car.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This chip is coming brand new from a GIAC dealer. $275 shipped to my door. How much would it cost to get it put in? Thanks all!!

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TF242:
While installing swaybars it is also a good idea to replace the bushings. You can get super quality at tmtuning.com

Downfall with bushings is the amount of labor, but benefits are great, and they are cheap.

[ February 24, 2004: Message edited by: TF242 ]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I was wondering about that. raf, will that sway bar come with newer bushings? I wonder if IMPEX autoparts have them. I will be getting some parts from them. thanks Thomas.

Anyone have comments on the chip idea? thanks.

[ February 24, 2004: Message edited by: silverGTI ]

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
For the 25$ difference it might be just as easy to buy one now. But if the chip is used or not from a certified GIAC distributor then I'd wait for a show special.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts