VW Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I swiss cheesed my airbox. now my car sounds cool, but when I run the A/C, it runs like crap. Worse than it did before the modification. Help!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
All cars run like crap with the A/C on. It totally bogs the motor especially on a 2.0L. It takes some HP to run that A/C compressor.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Making a Swiss air box won't effect your AC. I switch my AC of when I need to hotrod.

Did you modify anything else in the box?

Gad

·
Registered
73 Posts
yeah, dont spend your money on an intake unless it's a real cold air intake that goes into the fender wall, below the engine bay. the you should just take the AC out of your car, unless you live in a really hot/humid area. AC is a waste in my mind

·
Registered
124 Posts
For real, Why not just spend the money on a nice p flow kit or just a filter. Maybee there is something I am missing, but i always saw that as a way to be cheap. And yes AC is a waste thats damn near a 40 weight reduction. 4 windows down at 40-100 mph is all the air you need!!!!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I rarely run the AC...I live in NC, so I must leave the AC for my wife. As for the swiss cheese method...it made the car sound cool, but no noticeable HP change. I already was using an Amsoil air filter. I have another question now. When i take off sometimes, it will go ...lag then go...do I have a bad plug?

Can someone recommend a good plug? I use Bosch Platinum now...about 15,000 miles on them. I have new taylor 8mm wires too

·
Registered
18 Posts
This will probably seem trivial to most of you, but I'm new to the VW scene and still learning...but how exactly do you swiss cheese your airbox. Can someone give me some detailed instructions and hopefully some pictures, I'd appreciate it...thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Basically, drill holes all over the bottom half of the stock airbox...but don't drill any on the side where the engine is. You'd be pulling in hot air. Basically it makes it sound a tad throatier...but that's all I can say for mine

·
Registered
3 Posts
as far as plugs go...
Bosch +four are what i run,

you might what to go down to your dealer and see what VW recommends. you'll usually have atleast two choices. (one good, one better)

as far as a performance increase goes from changing your air filter or drilling holes in the air box... i think a difference in sound is about all you're going to get. from what i've heard the performance difference is only like 1-2 hp. and that's even with a K&N drop-in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts