VW Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if you can program the new mk4 style keyless entry to work on an mk3???
if so, is the same way you program the mk3 system?

·
Premium Member
7,420 Posts
I'm assuming you can, but you might need to buy more than just the key. Do you already have keyless entry? If not you will probably have to spend quite a bit for it. As it is, just a replacement key for MK4's is around $100.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
agree with brett. I would imagine if you would have keyless entry, you could prob get the switchblade key programed to work. I got 2 switchblade keys from ebay for like $55. the expensive part is getting new keys re-cut, and reprogrammed. I checked with the dealership before, but I forget how much it was. anyone know off hand?? thanks.[/LIST]

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
wait, you can get blank keys off ebay? crazy! wonder how they are getting there. anyways, i thought those keys were like $400 or something. but it will be expensive, but should not be that hard.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TimmayGTi:
wait, you can get blank keys off ebay? crazy! wonder how they are getting there. anyways, i thought those keys were like $400 or something. but it will be expensive, but should not be that hard.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
timmy. these keys are not blank keys, they are just old keys from a passat, jetta, or golf, or gti. so you would have to get a new blank key cut (lazer) at a vw dealership, which is pretty expensive, so I hear...

·
Premium Member
9,072 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silverGTI:
Originally posted by TimmayGTi:
[qb]wait, you can get blank keys off ebay? crazy! wonder how they are getting there. anyways, i thought those keys were like $400 or something. but it will be expensive, but should not be that hard.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
timmy. these keys are not blank keys, they are just old keys from a passat, jetta, or golf, or gti. so you would have to get a new blank key cut (lazer) at a vw dealership, which is pretty expensive, so I hear...[/QB]
I've see the blank keys on eBay & Parts4vws.com as well. Run between $35-50 ea.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by db:
I've see the blank keys on eBay & Parts4vws.com as well. Run between $35-50 ea.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

actually 35-50 for a blank key isn't too bad.

·
Registered
676 Posts
shit fellas if you look around just right you can get em off ebay for like $20-$30....that's gettin lucky wit the biddin and all.

Also you have to pay attention to what year they come from! Makes a difference when getting it reprogrammed to your car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i spoke with a few people from different dealerships and they were telling me something and switchboards and not being able to program the new keyless entry to my car for some reason. I already have keyless entry from the factory but its mk3 and they said that i wouldnt be able to do it, but im hoping theres some way around it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts