VW Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I WANNA GO SYNTHETIC..THE OWNER'S MANUAL STATES USE 5W-40...THE ONLY SYNTHETIC BRAND THAT COMES IN 5W-40 IS CASTROL SYNTEC..BUT I NOTICED THEY DON'T HAVE THE ENERGY CONSERVING DECAL ON THE BOTTLE..MOBIL 1 DOES BUT MOBIL 1 ONLY COME IN 5W-30 AND 0W-40.....WHADAYA THINK?

·
Registered
345 Posts
You don't need 5w40....depends on where you live. Just put Mobil 1 5w30 its enough. or you can put mobil 1 0w40..EURO formula. but i don't think the 40 is needed, unless its really hot out.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dub flava:
You don't need 5w40....depends on where you live. Just put Mobil 1 5w30 its enough. or you can put mobil 1 0w40..EURO formula. but i don't think the 40 is needed, unless its really hot out.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed. the Mobil One 0W-40 synthetic is the "european car formula" and is supposed to meet the VW oil specs. that's what i use.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Mobil1 is a great product. It probably the oil of choice, especially if you do extended drain intervals(more than 5000mi). However, extended drains can be risky if you do a lot of stop & go driving or drive in a cold climate(like NY). Those types of driving conditions can excessivly stress even the best synthetic oils.
I change the oil in our 2.0 every 4000-5000mi. I did use Mobil1 initially, but it soon became apparent that the cost of it at every oil change was going to become a problem. My solution was simple...Shell Rotella T 5W40 synthetic.
Rotella T 5w40 can be found at most Wal*Marts for about $13per gallon. It is made from group 3 base stocks(similar to Castrol Syntec...Mobil1 is group 4). Rotella T 5W40 also carries an API SL rating for gasoline engines which complies with VWs oil standards for this country. Because its only a group 3 oil, I wouldn't recommend it for extended drain use. But its more than adequate for 5000mi and will save you some coin as well.

[ March 17, 2004: Message edited by: brenshlus ]

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks...i'll look for the shell...if not the euro formula mobil1 sounds good too

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
brenshlus is just full of useful info. We discussed this at the ABE GTG, and its an excellent find on his part for the Shell oil. I have been running Castrol Syntec in mine, however I get it for free cause I save up 1/2 quarts from every TDI oil change (We get 5 quarts to put in, they only take 4 1/2.)

However I might be switching to Royal Purple Synthetic soon, as my friend Phil has had great luck with it.

·
Registered
471 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
brenshlus is just full of useful info.
Thanx, Carson. People are always tellin' me I full of something....sometimes it happens to be useful info.

·
Registered
510 Posts
IM USING CASTROL GTX 5W 30,AND K&N OIL FILTER SHOULD I SWITCH TO SOMETHING ELSE???

·
Registered
471 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
IM USING CASTROL GTX 5W 30,AND K&N OIL FILTER SHOULD I SWITCH TO SOMETHING ELSE???
Nothin' wrong with Castrol GTX unless you leave it in too long(same goes for any other non-synthetic). The K&N oil filters are well made...expensive, but well made. According to VWoA, the only thing the K&N lacks over an OEM filter is a relief valve filtration screen. I'm sure there are minor differences in the flow specs as well, but otherwise they're OK to use. Just stay away from Fram and you'll be alright.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts