VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 jetta 2.0 The tach and speedometer only come on some times. If they come on when you start the car they work the whole time untill you shut it off. And then it's anybody's guess whether they will come on the next time. Any guesses?

·
Premium Member
2,664 Posts
Check the connections on the back of the cluster, maybe do some resoldering. If not the cluster might need replacing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's odd though if it sits over night it works when you start it in the morning every time. The temp and fuel guage's always work. When the tach doesn't work it will sit there and vibrate back and forth about a 1/16" the whole time. What would need soldered? Is the cluster going bad a common thing? The car only has a 140,000 mi on it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
most car manufacturers make their parts with cold soldering - this leads to cracking over time, which causes failures in the products in which they are in. Computers etc.. heck relays for instance. A bad cracked cold solder can quickly become an enemy of any car owner. That said, my gut says your little flicker might be related to something else.

Check your charging system and make sure its working properly. A lot of shops will do a check up for free, so get it checked. (Call first to see if they will do for free, and use a reputible shop)

I had a Ford E450 where the dash would dance all the time, and it turned out the alternator was starting to go bad, and it was sending irregular voltage spikes to the PCM which in turn make the cluster flicker as if it was pulsing in and out. That said, another of the same design had a bad ignition module that was making the cluster dance because that one was pulsing the power at the ignition module... not enough to make the car stall or stop.. but enough to make the power dance the cluster.

Start with wiggling the wires at the back of the cluster. They are easy to access and free to you. Then go with the charging system... make sure power is all good... if it is great... If not...get ready to start hunting possible causes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 96 jetta 2.0 The tach and speedometer only come on some times. If they come on when you start the car they work the whole time untill you shut it off. And then it's anybody's guess whether they will come on the next time. Any guesses?
I have the exact problem with my 98 Jetta... I have yet to figure out the issue

1 - 5 of 5 Posts