VW Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So...I sold my '03 1.8T a few years back to run a truck for work purposes and as I've since changed jobs, and don't really need the truck..,I've been looking at new cars to get some more "fun".
That said, pretty much none of the new cars are really appealing to me. Or rather, all the ones I'd really like are just too far up in the price range ($30K+).

I've found several '01 (weird...only '01's) 1.8Ts between $2500-5000 near me with anywhere from 70K to 130K miles. Most look really clean (no rust, sturdy interior). If I can find one that seems to run right, the plan is to take money from selling the truck (~$10K) to finance upgrading/refurbishing a Jetta. I have a reputable tuner shop near me, and I'd be looking to put in no more than ~$5k beyond the initial purchase to get about ~250hp.

Generically: clutch, DV, Stage 1 chip and tune, turboback exhaust, upgraded clutch. "Some" suspension upgrades? I'm not knowledgable on the needs of that side of cars...but I'm just guessing 10+ years of wear on stock weight bearing systems may make an upgrade worthwhile.
Anything else I should be worried about replacing with the age of the car? Lines? Turbo?

Am I crazy and headed for a total money pit, or is this a reasonable idea? I'm hoping to get something that'll run reliably with no needs other than minor issues/regular maintenance for a few more years.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
01 is the lower horsepower motor.

If you plan to put that much money into it get a vr6 and turbo it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
01 is the lower horsepower motor.

If you plan to put that much money into it get a vr6 and turbo it.
Does the '01 not take a tune as well? Some people seem to think that the only diff between an AWW and AWP motor is in the ECU...which I would think would give you the same tuning potential.

Not opposed to going with a VR6, but they are harder to find.

You won't see 250hp without a turbo upgrade.
Ah, if that's what it takes. But does the overall idea make sense? My main worry is of this thing turning into a money pit. I'd be even willing to let the shop do some other "preventative upgrades" to take advantage of labor hour savings by doing it all at once. Wondering if that is even realistic for the budget I'm considering.

·
Premium Member
4,466 Posts
I think the turbos are a tiny bit different. They don't all tune the same,
AWD is 99-00' motor. 01' is AWW and AWP is 02'+

Stage I ECU Upgrade Guide
OEM, 91 and 93 octane tunes.
AWD 150hp / 162lb-ft(OEM) 196hp / 240lb-ft(91) 204hp / 242lb-ft N(93)
AWW 150hp / 162lb-ft(OEM) 209hp / 242lb-ft(91) 215hp / 247lb-ft Y(93)
AWP 180hp / 173lb-ft(OEM) 209hp / 242lb-ft(91) 215hp / 247lb-ft Y(93)

It also says AWD isn't direct port so I think you have to pull the ECU out to tune it.
AWW and AWP motor can be flashed through the OBD port.

Just make sure you at least get an AWW motor if its an 01.
Like Fubar said you can't get 250 WHP without a turbo upgrade.
Franken turbo does a cheap ko4 capable of 250 WHP out of the box. You could reach up
to around 300 WHP with a FMIC and water/meth injection.

·
Registered
121 Posts
STAY AWAY FROM 01s. My wife's jetta is an 01 with the 1.8t. We have dropped close to $1k on fixing a throttle issue. The shop I used is Audi and VW specific and they know what they are talking about. They said the only car that they have never been able to fully fix was an 01 jetta. We ended up replacing the throttle body and had a second wiring harness made from the ecu to the throttle body. Last options were a new ECU and a new pedal assembly.

He said for some reason, only the 2001 1.8ts have a throttle problem. EPC and ASR lights come on and car goes into limp mode. Will sometimes shut off while driving. This does not mean that it will happen to your car if you get a 2001, but if you can find a different year, then I would go that route.

Also what the other guys said, the VR6 is way more fun to drive than a 1.8. I have had both and love my VR way more, but to each their own.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
01's have a narrowband ecu, which will not work with certain software that is designed for a wideband ecu. it is not hard to convert but requires a new ecu, some minor programming and wiring done to make it run. other than that, the engine bay has some different hoses that were updated in the later of the 2 engine codes. this is assuming it is an awd engine code.
aww,awp are both the same but with a different factory boost

·
Registered
653 Posts
If you want a 1.8T get a 2002 and up and make sure to steer away from automatic crap. If I was on your shoes I would get all the bolt ons and chip tune and push the small turbo to its limits, some people claim they can pump 250hp but will die fast

When it fails just go ahead and drop a k04 and call it a day, everything is already there, exhaust, intake, upgraded dv and its all bolt on. That will make 250 all day everyday without pushing to its limits. And you can probably do all that with less than 5 grand

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the info. Will make sure to check the engine code.

Definitely not going with a slushbox...the old one was a manual AWP, and it was a hoot stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
25v vr6

Hi, I just bought a 2003 jetta gli and im looking to add some power, not sure where to start. I got a cold air and a cat back for now. I would like to supercharge it sometime. any help would be appreciated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts