VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I finally got my tax money back, Now i got about $1500 to spend.
I want :

Cat back Exhaust, CHIP, Cold Air Intake.
Now can you guys plz tell me whats the best i should go with and please provide me with links on where to get them. Thanx

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
$1500 is nice, I think thats about what I am getting as well, but mine has to go towards dumb stuff....like bills.

Anyway, go with Milltek, they make a great cat-back.
Milltek
I am bias torwards GIAC when it comes ot software, so.... www.pes-tuning.com
As for the cold air intake....save your money, no real gains have been shown from them. If your hell bent on it, then at least have someone bend you a peise of SS tubing, and buy a cone filter. $200+ for a CIA on a 1.8t is just crazy!

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote

·
Registered
44 Posts
yep, i agree, go GIAC... thats what i am doing with my tax money X-chip

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I would hit up Ebay for a CAI...I got my AEM for $150 off Ebay...

For a cat back...there's Milltek, GHL...they are all similarly priced...but if you want a turboback, GHL gets cheaper than Milltek in that respect. Both are excellent systems.

For a chip for your 1.8T, I would go APR DPP, as they have a very good reputation. I have seen what APR can do for the 1.8T, and I like it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would go TT exhaust, apr or giac are both great and I have the evo CIA. u will be able to get all of that with ur 1500 plus I recomend a diverter valve too.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
if you don't want something too loud but a nice low growl check out a remus exhaust. chip i'd go for apr and as for an intake well get something else b/c like josh said intakes don't really show any gains, it's just for sound.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome , Miltek Cat-back, dont know what CAI yet, maybe the evo, and apr chip? Yeah thanx a lot guys im very thankful for all ur help. Ill let u know when I get all this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ive gotta suggest the Revo chip...Ive had it for about 10k miles now, and no cold start problems like some other chips out there, and still puts a smile on my face everytime i press the accelerator down
...i also have a ghl turboback, and love it. Its a bit loud, but i got great gains, and it sounds phenomenal

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pcmoney01:
My suggestion would be a chip $500 and a turbo back exhaust maybe around $800. With these two mods your little hatchback will pulls like a rape bitch.!!!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What does it mean when it pulls like a "rape bitch"??? Just wondering; and what will we call a 1.8T w/ upgraded turbo...

[ February 23, 2004: Message edited by: 109 LUVR ]

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
I think he means "runs like". But I could be wrong.

Remember that we do have some girls perusing these here forums, so you might want to keep those kinda slang terms in check...plenty of other ways to say something is fast.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GTIVR62801:
I think he means "runs like". But I could be wrong.

Remember that we do have some girls perusing these here forums, so you might want to keep those kinda slang terms in check...plenty of other ways to say something is fast.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My sentiments exactly Carson.

·
Registered
637 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slaven GTI:
Alright guys, I finally got my tax money back, Now i got about $1500 to spend.
I want :

Cat back Exhaust, CHIP, Cold Air Intake.
Now can you guys plz tell me whats the best i should go with and please provide me with links on where to get them. Thanx
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My suggestion would be a chip $500 and a turbo back exhaust maybe around $800. With these two mods your little hatchback will be very fast.!!!!!

[ February 23, 2004: Message edited by: pcmoney01 ]

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Okey so whats the difference between CatBack and Turboback, other than the price?

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Slaven GTI:
Okey so whats the difference between CatBack and Turboback, other than the price?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A turbo back starts at the turbo flange. Its made up of a down-pipe, resonator pipe, s pipe and the muffler. The "cat-back" is everything except the down-pipe.

They are all separate pieces as you can see below:

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Uh so Its better if I get a turbo back instead of the catback???
And then get the CAI later on, cause CAI is no big deal i just want the chip and exhaust, and what do u guys think i should be at HP wise? 230 maybe? I dont know

·
Registered
8,124 Posts
230hp is max on stock turbo, you would be close to it.
Yes turbo back is better. Also, some turbo cats use test-pipes in place of the cat. Illegal, yes, but if you can get away with it go ahead. Cat backs, connect at the cat and go back so the beginning, the most important part of a turbo exhaust system is still restrictive. Turbo Back, and Chip... For exhaust
APR or Miltek
For Chip
APR (I'm a full supporter of their software)

·
Premium Member
3,219 Posts
Uh so Its better if I get a turbo back instead of the catback???
And then get the CAI later on, cause CAI is no big deal i just want the chip and exhaust, and what do u guys think i should be at HP wise? 230 maybe? I dont know
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you can afford the full turbo back then I'd say go for it all at once. You'll be in the 200whp range with the chip, full exhaust and intake; this is depending on what programming you decide to go with.
So, you are looking at gaining about 50whp.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 98a4:
Also, some turbo cats use test-pipes in place of the cat. Illegal, yes, but if you can get away with it go ahead.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nein!

Don't kill your kids just because you can. Lose the 2 horsepower and save the world.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts