VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't purchased anything yet but I'm looking to take an MK4 Non-TDI and install a TDI Engine that already has a manual transmission and I have some questions...

Will any TDI engine swap into any gasoline chassis? or are there specific Trans that match with specific engines? If so, what ones will match up and how can I tell?

Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There really aren't many TDI's in my area (NJ) and the ones that are = $$$$$. I am going to buy a 2002 gasoline one for around $2000. The engine is fine right now, but in the future I want to change it to TDI. I just don't know if all the VW engines are still the standard 4 bolt attachment.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
The MK4 TDI's will bolt up to a 2.0/1.8t/VR6 trans no problem. Although the gearing is a little different in them.
Don't get a TDI from a car that is older than a MK4 otherwise you're asking for a headache, and emission issues.

You'll need:
ECU
Engine harness
Engine with all accessories (alt, sensors, fuel rail, injectors, etc)
Mounts
Fuel tank with fuel neck to fill up (diesel fuel necks are bigger because the fuel hoses are usually bigger since they're used to fill up big trucks)
You don't NEED to, but it'd be wise to get the fuel lines too, or just REALLY flush the ones you have.

that should be the majority of it. Since it's MK4 manual to MK4 manual, you don't have to put too much effort into parts. Just labor.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Definitely make sure you get a TDI trans to bolt up to that engine. Yes, a gasser trans will work, but you'll be turning much higher RPMs at highway speeds. I think my husband's TDI will sit around 3k or maybe even a bit less at 75mph. I've seen people putting in a gasser trans on their TDI and sitting more at 3500 or close to 4k at that point. Its worth it to use a TDI trans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts