VW Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speedo in our New Beetle is way out at 65 and 70 mph indicated. I suspect it is electric so is there any way to "program" it or re-calibrate? How do I know it is out? The digital miles on the trip meter look like they agree with an AVERAGE of the freeway mile markers (yes, some of the mile markers are off. That is why ya make an average & toss the ones that are obviously out of position). The old second hand tells the story pretty clearly:
60mph = 60 sec
55 = 65
65 = 55
70 = 50
This thing shows 57 seconds at an indicated 70mph. That equates to 63mph.

Karl

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
It could be your speed sensor, or it could be the cluster. There is no way to re-calibrate the cluster, so I would check the above 2 things to determine what is wrong.

Good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Using GPS, I've found my speedo to be about 10% optimistic. The odometer, however, seems to be right on. I've been told that German law requires speedos to be optimistic by several percent.

The easiest fix I see is replacing the speedo face with a more accurate one. I've seen plenty of custom faces, but I never bothered to notice if they had been corrected...

-Cet

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Using my GPS i've found my GPS to say i'm going 5mph slower then what my speedo says. This has been the case for my past three cars and this is when i'm locked onto 6 satilites.
jon

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Speedometer

The GPS is a great idea! I will have to get it out of the other car (which has a dead-nuts accurate speed/odometer) and give it a try.

Karl

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just for kicks, I reset the trip odometer on both the cluster and the GPS... 80 miles later they differ by about 0.1 miles. Next I'll break out the VAG-Com and see if what the cluster "thinks" differs from what it displays...

-Cet

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Speedometer

Cetane, what is a VAG-com and what does it do? I did the GPS and it confirmed the speedo error. I will have to compare miles...dumb of me not to do that at the time. Oh, well....

Karl

1 - 8 of 8 Posts