VW Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
What's the difference b/w the TDI and the 1.8T engines? (Other than the obvious). I want to know what drawbacks there are to getting a diesel engine.
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jettagirl79:
Hi!
What's the difference b/w the TDI and the 1.8T engines? (Other than the obvious). I want to know what drawbacks there are to getting a diesel engine.
Thanks for any help!
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The way I see it...
TDI advantages:
-kickass mileage
-lots of torque for that little engine (especially compared to a 2.0)
-a few mods can make it pretty quick
-could run on biodiesel if you are into that kind of thing

1.8T advantages:
-still decent mileage
-lots of power
-easily tuneable for big gains

It really depends on what you want the car for. If you are really concerned with performance get the 1.8t but otherwise you could save yourself some money on fuel and still have a fairly quick little car with the TDI. I'll let other chime in and also - welcome to the VWF!

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
about 60 HP !! i'm not too knowledgeable about the specifics of each engine, but they are both 4 cylinders, the diesel is great for commuting and i've heard gets as much as 50 MPG, but only puts out 100 HP. the 1.8T is pretty fast and can be modded to be very fast quite easily. think it gets around 23 MPG city and 30 MPG highway and puts out 180 HP. i know my friend has a 2000 jetta TDI and he has a couple problems with the glo-plugs and his CEL has been on for a long time, but i think he bought it that way...

[ March 08, 2004: Message edited by: 2 point slow ]

[ March 08, 2004: Message edited by: 2 point slow ]

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Diesel doesn't have the same options for the interior as the 1.8.

In my 1.8, I average about 28 city and 32 Highway, with no mods. I have heard that will go up with exhaust and possibly with a CAI.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by fli gti:
Diesel doesn't have the same options for the interior as the 1.8.

In my 1.8, I average about 28 city and 32 Highway, with no mods. I have heard that will go up with exhaust and possibly with a CAI.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point about the interior - didn't think of that....

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
If you're talking about the Golf TDI, the difference is everything the GTI has as options, the TDI would only have the Golf options.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
The TDI is a Turbocharged Direct Injection 1.9 liter Diesel engine. The new version (Pump Deuse) makes 100HP and 186 ft lbs torque. Its power range is right off idle to about 3500 RPM, and then it falls off. The TDI is designed for economy...it will pull down 50MPG with a manual transmission, and its a very durable engine. It can be modified more readily for performance than the 2.0 as well...I have seen a couple of insane TDIs that keep up with 1.8Ts and VR6es when done properly.

The 1.8T...well...its just great. Its a 5 valve per cylinder (20V total) 1.8 liter Turbocharged gasoline engine. Very respectable power numbers can be achieved for less than $2000. Insane power levels can be achieved for about $5000. Gas mileage can be good if granny driven, but if you like boost, the fuel economy won't be high.

Depending on what you want to do with the car, either can be a fine choice. They are both reliable.

·
Registered
267 Posts
from driving in both (i have a tdi and my guy has a 1.8t), i really love them both. but to be completely honost, i like my tdi better... lol, i'm not all the time all about the speed, and the tdi has a ton or pep. tdi's are gonna be my thing, for a LOOOONG time (expecailly if we get the audi A3 tdi)

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Me likely my 1.8T....

And I have gotten upto 36mpg on long highway trips. Although, if I could pick one up for commuting and long hauls, the TDI would be nice as well...

Drive both and pick the one you like best.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would recommend the TDI. When you look at the numbers of the TDI ONLY producing 90-100 HP and the 1.8 at 150+ it kind of looks one sided. DRIVE both of them. The TDI will totally surprise you!!!! They produce MORE power down low where you use it in everyday driving. Don't forget the added benefit of added fuel economy. No coil packs to burden you, and a lot of other items as well. Oh, did I mention the added longevity of the TDI engine???

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
i loved my desil... but the problem is cold weather! no garage so cold starting was a real pain. but for modding... mods are a little more pricey but mega increases can be seen if done properly! i personally would take the 1.8t but i love to drop my right foot!

by the way,

welcome to VWForum!

[ March 14, 2004: Message edited by: veedubgolf97 ]

[ March 14, 2004: Message edited by: veedubgolf97 ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts