VW Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a Techtonics exhaust for my 1998 4 cylinder Jetta. I am a little confused about the different types offered. Theres a catback dynomax, flomaster, and bora exhaust, what do they mean? I am looking for a quiet exhaust, I don't want one that sounds like a bumblebee or a V8 engine.

Any info offered would help a bunch!

·
Registered
3,658 Posts
Each of those are diffrent type's of companies. Flowmasters or dynomax will prob be the loudest out of those three while the borla will prob be the more mellow sound. i'm just going by this by what i've seen on other car applications such as trucks and Jeeps. All three they offer arn't bad. I would prob go with the borla but i would wait and see what other people say that might actually have one of these.
jon

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I have the TT exhaust for my 2.0L. Those different brands are just the type of rear muffler you get with the package. I went with the dynomax, but i didnt use it because i had a different muffler with DTM tip. If you have the money go for the stainless.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had just put a borla tt system on my 95 jetta and I loved the sound. It was just above stock level and it never really got loud. It would probly would have gotten quieter when it got broken in but I wrecked my car 3 days after putting on the system. But I loved it while it lasted.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I have a tt system .It had the dynomax muffler but it was to quiet for me!I replaced it with a aftermarket fart can!

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
im also looking into techtonics exhaust for my car ( 97 jetta) ive heard many good things about it and ive also heard it, trust me its not a bumble bee haha, personally im going to the borla muffler but any of them are great

·
Registered
28 Posts
i've only heard the borla and the dynomax and the borla is the loudest of the two when you get up on it. The dynomax is a lot quieter and its an ugly canister type, i'd go with the borla myself

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
friend just got her's put on this past weekend and it sounds awesome! she got it with the borla muffler mines soon to come

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think im about to sell my exhaust because i sold my jetta. The system only has like 100 miles, yes 1-0-0. I had it professionaly istalled and it fit prefectly. It took them 20 minutes to do including removing the old system. So, an almost brand new aluminized tt system with the borla, looking for about $300 and Im thinking of splitting the shipping but im not sure yet. I will lose some money in the deal either way. Please let me know.

·
Registered
110 Posts
yes, aluminized tt system with borla(part# 253.430B)at tttuning.com. If you have a 98 I dont think it will work on your car because this system is for a 93-95 jetta.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had a 98 jetta gl and i had a tt on it with a dynomax.. it had a tone but no like the others will do... Plus,, more and more you drive it the louder it will go... But i like it allot... But i sold the car when i test drove my car i got now...

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
what r the downfalls of getting alum. over stainless steel? i know that they tend to rust out, but what are the major differences? because its like 100 bucks cheaper. thanks im just curious!

[ October 29, 2003: Message edited by: vwspeed97 ]

·
Registered
133 Posts
You pretty much got it right in saying the alum one will rust out while the SS shouldn't. For the most part, that is the biggest difference.

Since you live where they like to salt (PA is great!) save the extra money and go with SS. I have heard in some cases the alum. exhaust rusting out in about two years - for harsh winterlands.

·
Registered
110 Posts
The borla muffler itself is SS has a lifetime warranty on it. So if something like your piping were to rust through its not that expensive to fix. The muffler will alway be covered for it tho.

·
Registered
148 Posts
i have a techtonics exhaust with dtm tips
it sounds alright i have 2.5 inch piping
so i think it sounds good make sure u have tips if u want a louder sound i have a 98 2.0 jetta

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
yeah man the techtonics exhaust w/ borla muffler sounds killer on my freind caras jetta...its a pretty quiet exhaust...not like the fart cans on some jettas i know (sorry colin, i know youre gettin a new one soon)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts