VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can anyone at least point me in the right direction . My 89 golf 16v 1.8 has a bog in the engine . This happens somtime at middle RPMs somtimes at high RPMs always at highs though the car wont take full throttle ,ever.It will run great somtimes it seems like it just putts thats the best way to describe it .when you ease onto the throttle it will rev freely an clean then it will start to break up Ive had it on a computer an changed the O2 senser thats the only thing that it "the comp" said was bad also correctly sset the fuel ratio my mechanic says the cams are off but wouldnt the car do this always if the cams were, could it be the differecial pressure regulater? "the gray box on the engine side" I,m looking for a direction on this I just need to know where to start any help would be appreciated thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
The best advice i can give is when was the last full tune up? I mean plugs wires set the timing and stuff like that. Little things can easily take away from performance. Then check for vacuum leaks. Check out some little things then go from there. And do you own a bently manuel. It will tell you everything you need to do for a good tune up.Good luck

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ya thanks .I did a complete tune up less than three thousand miles ago I,ll chase it down eventually . I,ll chack my wires again visually ,were in good shape they when I did tune up, but looks can be deceiving

·
Registered
349 Posts
check the distributer cap. sometimes it will cause a miss in the timing which will cause your engine to tend to bog. but that should have been done in the tune up so it's kind of a mistery to me. sorry

·
Registered
13 Posts
My gli was doing kind of the same thing when I first got it, I ended up finding the base timing off one tooth (who ever did the timing belt before screwed it up) Also have you replaced fuel filter? If your fuel pump is going out it can do the same, at higher load the pressure dropps off. Check the output (specs are in bently)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts