VW Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange. My gauge was stuck at 0 degrees although clearly it would not be after driving for sometime.
Recently I had some major engine work done (timing chain) and now it goes straight to 90 degrees Celsius even if just started and remains there for ages.
Coolant fluid is fine.
Easy fix I hope?

· Registered
265 Posts
Yeah its not too terribly hard to do. Miller is probably right on the diagnosis. I had this problem as well. I cant remember if it was the temp sensor or the thermostat. Ive had both replaced. Everyone has there own places they buy there parts from. I use ecstuning.com and autopartswarehouse.com as well as some local shops when I'm in a pinch.

· Premium Member
4,072 Posts
Thank you. Is this something a non-mechanic can do? And where would I buy it?

Yeah you can do it yourself no problem. All you need is a flathead screwdriver :K:

You can buy them from German Auto Parts, Urotuning, ECS Tuning, along with a handful of other places.

· Registered
128 Posts
Pull it out and boil water to 0' and 90' there should be a certain resistance when you test it with a multi meter. If there's no consistency then it's crapped out. They're pretty cheap to replace. It's about $20 to replace and you can grab it from any auto parts store. If you plan on replacing it right away from your trip to the store make sure to de pressurize the coolant bottle or you'll get a face full of hot coolant in your face when you pry the clip off the sensor. I have learned this the hard way and ended up going to the hospital freaking out.

The sensor will on the right side of the engine on the coolant flange. Disconnect the sensor and pry the clip off. Remove the sensor and make sure to pull the o ring out as it can get stuck in there. Slap the new sensor in with the o ring and put the clip back on. Reconnect the sensor and start the car up and listen to her purr. You'll lose a bit of coolant so just top it off with distilled water.

I'm assuming this is a 1.8T we're dealing with here.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.