VW Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning my engine temperature light came on as soon as i started my 1990 gti(1.8). The same thing happened later in the day. The light just comes on and never goes off. Since the engine is cold i'm assuming it's a deffective thermostat. Could it have something to do with the fact that this morning it was -10 celcius(15 f) outside and last night it was 5 celcius (35 f). Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I would first with the motor cold check the antifreeze.If that is ok replace the thermostat.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i dunno mine dose it too but it goes away when the car heats up..like at 155 degrees...i dunno it says to take it to the dealer in the manual but i dunno

·
Registered
9 Posts
sounds like you have a 1.8L electrical gremlin. I had one that would flash the temp light everytime you honked the horn. You could try replacing sensors, and gauges, but it gets expensive. If your gauge works ok, and the occasional blip of the light doesn't bother you, just let it be. At lease it's not an annoying buzz of the low oil pressure light.

·
Registered
96 Posts
i akes around its 1 of a few things, check your grounds, like battery to enigne and engine to frame. also check all the wires at the comp and all the wires at the back of the guage panel...hope that helps

1 - 5 of 5 Posts